"Show new replies to your posts." behavior change in 2.1?

Started by Douglas, August 02, 2021, 11:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Douglas

On 2.0, I can click "Show new replies to your posts.", and it'll show me any and all replies to my posts.

Apparently, this is no longer the case on 2.1. Can we get that basic functionality back, please?

If it's there, but handled a different way, please document the steps so that I can post it up on a couple sites where some of the folks need *really easy* instructions.

Thanks!
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Diego Andrés

It works the same way in action=unreadreplies, not sure exactly what issue you're having.
If you mean that you can't find the link, it's on the right side of the linktree in Updated Topics

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Douglas

I'll have to bug one of the admins that's claiming to have an issue. He's said it's not working (RC 3). I don't participate a lot in the forums there, so I don't know. What I did do, however, is tell him to adjust his notification settings so that he'll at least get alerts or emails or whatever.

Seems the default behavior, though, is no posts are showing up in your unread replies because it's set to no alerts/no emails by default (which we want).

I would think that "Show new replies to your posts" (or "Updated Topics") would work regardless of notification settings.

EDIT: Just tested this on Hogville, and it seems to be working for me there (same version).
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I haven't had any trouble with this, and I'm running two live 2.1 installs.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

live627

Huh, go figure. The unread topics list seems to behave like a watchlist. I prepared some code changes which should restore the old behavior; it's on GitHub. https://github.com/live627/SMF2.1/commit/73ce7e81b42dc0fc4af53da3dc0aca8022342747

I don't know if this is intentional or a bug.

Douglas

The workaround I gave BG should provide him with a temporary solution until a permanent fix is in place:
QuoteSee the button at the top and bottom of the thread itself called "No Alerts or Emails"? Any thread you need to follow, click that button and select the appropriate notification you want.

live627, will this make it into the milestones page? https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/milestone/10

(I appreciate the link. I'll manually patch the FF forum, for now)
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: live627 on August 03, 2021, 04:28:38 AM
Huh, go figure. The unread topics list seems to behave like a watchlist. I prepared some code changes which should restore the old behavior; it's on GitHub. https://github.com/live627/SMF2.1/commit/73ce7e81b42dc0fc4af53da3dc0aca8022342747

If it's really tied to notifications, I'd lean towards calling it a bug even if someone did it intentionally.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Douglas

Let me also thank all of you for the quickness that y'all jumped on this, even if Lex didn't think it was an issue, initially (HAH!).

Given the work that BG does on Friday nights during high school football season, this is a critical item for him to have working properly, since he runs our live football (american) scoreboard... which auto-updates high school football scores every 30 seconds.

He has multiple places (on and off the forums) that he monitors for the latest scores, so that he can push them out in real time.

We're one of a very few sites in the nation that does this at the high school level, so for him to be able to see replies in a single area, working correctly, is beyond vital to his score updating abilities.
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian

live627

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on August 03, 2021, 07:35:11 AM

If it's really tied to notifications, I'd lean towards calling it a bug even if someone did it intentionally.
I think it may only apply if an ignored topic has been seen before but has new posts.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Douglas on August 03, 2021, 07:54:53 AM
Lex didn't think it was an issue, initially (HAH!).
Never, my only fault is the complete lack of imperfections. :P
Just hadn't seen this happen, so most likely just down to different circumstances like user settings or something. :)

Quote from: live627 on August 03, 2021, 07:58:47 AM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on August 03, 2021, 07:35:11 AM

I think it may only apply if an ignored topic has been seen before but has new posts.
Still doesn't quite sound right. I do think the way it works on 2.0 is exactly what people expect it to do.
Giving the extra option to never show a particular topic again could sometimes be handy, but this isn't really that either - this seems a bit too unpredictable.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

live627

And in the selector to ignore a topic it has a description that states that it will be hidden from the recent topics list.The default of no email/no alert is the same as in 2.0.

Also, the code in the commit linked above most likely doesn't do anything noteworthy.

Sesquipedalian

In my tests, if the user has selected "Not Following" on various topics, those topics never show up in the "Updated Topics" list, whereas they do show up if the user has selected "No Alerts or Emails" instead. I have not been able to create any situation where a topic does not show up in the "Updated Topics" list when the user has selected "No Alerts or Emails" for that topic.

Based on that, my best guess is that one of the following two things are happening on the forum in question, Douglas:

1. This forum has been running 2.1 for a while now, and previous changes to the relevant code have left this user's notification preferences in an inconsistent state. (I have tried directly manipulating all the relevant values in the database in my attempts to reproduce the problem, and I haven't come up with a combination that causes the behaviour described, but maybe there is some combination that I missed.)

2. The problem is really just some confusion about the difference between "Not Following" and "No Alerts or Emails" on the part of the end user that you are supporting.

In either case, I suggest telling the end user to go to ?action=profile;area=notification;sa=topics and make sure that all topics listed there have the right notification settings. In particular, if any show "Not Following" in the "Alert Preferences" column, change them to the default value.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Advertisement: