News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Can not delete Membergroup

Started by skullmonkey, August 05, 2021, 04:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullmonkey

Hi,
I want to delete a group I just created but its not possible. There are no members in it. I create it to test board creation permissions and I think it was based on Global Moderators group.
This is the group:
https://prnt.sc/1jct7wq

There is no Delete button next to Save button like for the DM group.

Thanks,
S@

Shambles

Click the modify link, then on the resulting page scroll to the bottom and there should be a save and a delete button.

Illori

i bet that group is the local board moderator group that has been renamed. you cannot delete that group.

Gary

It has members listed as N/A so yeah, that makes it the Local Moderator group.

You can't delete that one.

Membergroup ID's 1, 3 and 4 are required and can't be deleted.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

skullmonkey

Quote from: Gary on August 05, 2021, 07:24:26 AM

Can it be done from phpMySql side?
Thanks.

efk

Quote from: skullmonkey on August 10, 2021, 06:01:16 AM
Thanks.
SMF is created to work with that the most basic feature. Doing changes around it will probably make it nonfunctional.
There is not even a single logical reason for such action, you just don't need to use it, or you don't know how to use it.

Your question is like, you are healthy person with both hands, both legs and healthy organs. Now surgeon comes and he wants to take from your body half of your organs. Will you be alive after that? Its the same with SMF, read what Gary said:

Steve

And if for some reason you want a Support Team member's confirmation, you've got it.

efk's post (including the quote of Gary's post) is a good one.

Marking solved.
DO NOT pm me for support!

shadav

Quote from: skullmonkey on August 10, 2021, 06:01:16 AM

Thanks.
no because it is necessary
you can rename it again though either back to Moderator or whatever name you wish (as you've already done)
if you click on the (?) next to it's name it'll popup with a message
"The Moderator membergroup is a special membergroup. Permissions and settings assigned to this group apply to moderators but only on the boards they moderate. Outside these boards they're just like any other member."
but the Administrator (1), Moderator (3) and Newbie (4) membergroups can not be deleted (they can be renamed but not deleted)
if you don't wish to use that membergroup, that is entirely up to you, but no sorry it can not be deleted, even via the database otherwise you will have issues and smf will not work properly.

[edit] lol steve snuck in while I was typing, odd I didn't get a warning about new message....ug i'm slow typing today

Kindred

Just as another note... please, please, please -- do not ever go into the database to delete or change something.

Although SOMETIMES it is possible (and even maybe suggested as a resolution to something) --    It is NOT something that should ever be a "go-to" answer, unless you know EXACTLY what the result would be or you have been told by an SMF support staffer or developer to do it.

Use the admin interface -- if it's not possible in the admin interface, there is probably a very good reason.

For example, deleting one of the fixed membergroups could actually make EVERY USER an ADMIN!!!!
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: