Where can I get information on the simplemachines.org homepage?

Started by wakewatcher, August 17, 2021, 08:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wakewatcher

I would really like something just like what this site has for a homepage. Even more basic than that. Just information on the forum and links to register/login. What is it and how can I get it? Thanks!
smf 2.0.18

landyvlad

Best done using a Portal such as TinyPortal, EZPortal or Simple Portal.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

wakewatcher

Yeah I didn't do a good job of wording that.  I would like to know what did simplemachines.org actually use for this site?
smf 2.0.18

lurkalot

Quote from: wakewatcher on August 17, 2021, 10:11:56 PMI would like to know what did simplemachines.org actually use for this site?

As far as I'm aware it's custom coded specifically for this site.

Illori

Quote from: landyvlad on August 17, 2021, 09:26:13 PMBest done using a Portal such as TinyPortal, EZPortal or Simple Portal.

we dont use a portal, it is all custom coded for our own needs.

wakewatcher

Quote from: Illori on August 18, 2021, 05:13:41 AM
Quote from: landyvlad on August 17, 2021, 09:26:13 PMBest done using a Portal such as TinyPortal, EZPortal or Simple Portal.

Sigh...  Given that one of the main features of SMF is the ability to easily add mods is there a reason you didn't eat your own dog food so to speak and make a mod for this purpose?
smf 2.0.18

shadav

Quote from: wakewatcher on August 18, 2021, 01:19:11 PM
Quote from: Illori on August 18, 2021, 05:13:41 AM

Sigh...  Given that one of the main features of SMF is the ability to easily add mods is there a reason you didn't eat your own dog food so to speak and make a mod for this purpose?
there are mods for this purpose
portals
it's just that this site doesn't use portals (or mods from the mod site or themes...the forum here is basically what you see is what you get with the script for your site (aside from a very few changes since this is a support forum), then you as the end user can add customizations)
if you notice the url, there's the main site and then the forum is in a subfolder
so if that's the route you wish to go you can find a cms you like and put it on the root of your site and then put your forum  into a subfolder
or you can use one of the portal mods that will display a "front page" without having to use a separate script and making sure that they both work together and matching themes and so forth

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You could say what we have here is actually showcasing a whole different strength of SMF.
Simplemachines.org may appear like it's all one site and one product, but in reality we have combined many different parts to just look and act that way. The landing page, forum, mod site, wiki - all separate things.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

wintstar

You can also connect your homepage with SMF. For this you need php, html and css knowledge.

Here is a guide:

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Integrating_SMF_with_your_website

A small example

Create a php file named start.php

<?php

// Intigriere SMF functions
require_once('SSI.php');

template_header();

echo 
'your content';

template_footer();

?>
Regards Stephan

,,In order for the possible to come into being, the impossible must be attempted again and again."
Hermann Hesse (1877-1962)

My HomepageMy Board - My Atelier

Mick.

Dude, bite the bullet and download a portal, whichever. Create an HTML center block and add your own stuff.

https://codepen.io/trending has cool landing pages. Use the search bar on that site and get an idea or well, make your own but after many, many of the same answers that the community is giving you, it's fair to say not to reply to this topic anymore. You're on your own.

wakewatcher

Quote from: Mick. on August 18, 2021, 03:23:11 PMDude, bite the bullet and download a portal, whichever. Create an HTML center block and add your own stuff.

https://codepen.io/trending has cool landing pages. Use the search bar on that site and get an idea or well, make your own but after many, many of the same answers that the community is giving you, it's fair to say not to reply to this topic anymore. You're on your own.

Well 'dude' aren't you the magnanimous one! Don't act like an ass. As you like to put it, it's fair to say the tone of your reply is not becoming behavior for an "SMF Hero." In the first place, it's my topic and nobody is putting a gun to your head to reply at all. In the second place I made one clarification and one reply before I got "many many of the same answers" all of which were cordial except for your, holier than thou, douchebaggery. But I must say I think your work in ZZ Top is fantastic. :)

To the rest of you thanks! I'm looking at the portal mods now.
smf 2.0.18

Mick.

Quote from: wakewatcher on August 18, 2021, 09:53:26 PM
Quote from: Mick. on August 18, 2021, 03:23:11 PMDude, bite the bullet and download a portal, whichever. Create an HTML center block and add your own stuff.

Well 'dude' aren't you the magnanimous one! Don't act like an ass. As you like to put it, it's fair to say the tone of your reply is not becoming behavior for an "SMF Hero." In the first place, it's my topic and nobody is putting a gun to your head to reply at all. In the second place I made one clarification and one reply before I got "many many of the same answers" all of which were cordial except for your, holier than thou, douchebaggery. But I must say I think your work in ZZ Top is fantastic. :)

To the rest of you thanks! I'm looking at the portal mods now.
You had me at ZZ Top.

landyvlad

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

wakewatcher

Quote from: Mick. on August 19, 2021, 12:24:35 AMYou had me at ZZ Top.

Whew!!!! I probably overreacted. But in fairness to me I wasn't getting notifications of any of the replies since this site was recently upgraded. So I made a bug report and now that has since been fixed.
smf 2.0.18

wakewatcher

Just an update.  I went with TinyPortal to build a frontpage and not only is it fantastic but the support folks at TP are fantastic going above and beyond the call of duty! (Although I'm not sure why it's called "Tiny." What else could one ask for?!
smf 2.0.18

Antechinus

Tiny Portal is excellent. I think the name originated because, in terms of code base, it was "tiny" compared to other content management systems available at the time. :)

wintstar

Sometimes a portal is too powerful. You are only looking for a status page with minimal information and not overloaded with blocks where you have to scroll a lot on your mobile phone.
Regards Stephan

,,In order for the possible to come into being, the impossible must be attempted again and again."
Hermann Hesse (1877-1962)

My HomepageMy Board - My Atelier

@rjen

Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Antechinus

@rjen

Quote from: Antechinus on August 24, 2021, 06:42:08 AMLol. Now why didn't I think of that? :D
I'm pretty sure you did, but sometimes other people forget that...
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Advertisement: