[THEME] Holiday Theme (1.1RC1)

Started by snork13, November 23, 2005, 05:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snork13

hi all,

i noticed a lack of holiday themes, so i thought i would try my hand at making one. nothing fancy but did  make a new english button set. I tried to stay red, green, and white.  I'm looking for suggestion and opinion. thanks for the support.

UPDATE:

PREVIEW

In the style sheet you can comment out the catbg image, if you want solid color.

thanks

-snork

[edited]

I added the other catbg to the zip file, it can be found here:

http://www.phantasyposters.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=0
Mods
Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
I have been super busy as of late. Working on updates to all my modifications for 2.0.1

codenaught

Very nice! The border is awesome and so are the gradients.
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

snork13

Quote from: akabugeyes on November 23, 2005, 05:37:14 PM
Very nice! The border is awesome and so are the gradients.

Wow, thanks!!! I be happy to share. :)

Mods
Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
I have been super busy as of late. Working on updates to all my modifications for 2.0.1

[darksteel]

Luis "[darksteel]" Alvarado.
Spanish Support
¿Qué es el repair_settings?
No doy soporte por PM, publica tu duda en el foro y tendras respuestas mas rapidas.
My forum:
www.caamboard.com

kegobeer

Very nice.  I'll gladly make a matching Coppermine 1.4.2 theme when you release it.  Unless of course you plan on doing that also...  ;)
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

snork13

Quote from: kegobeer on November 23, 2005, 06:03:24 PM
Very nice.  I'll gladly make a matching Coppermine 1.4.2 theme when you release it.  Unless of course you plan on doing that also...  ;)

i wouldn't mind if you did it at all, should be super easy...the last <td>coppermine</td>

-snork

i made some additional catbg headers, you'll have to adjust your style sheet accordingly!

and the holiday logo is attached, but also in the image folder. Edit your theme banner location if you wish to use!
Mods

kegobeer

Thanks.  I'll put you in the credits.  I should have something after the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf

snork13

Some extra buttons, i'll make a better upload button :-X
Mods

kegobeer

Can you also make a "Gallery" button in addition to the "My Gallery" button?

snork13

Quote from: kegobeer on November 23, 2005, 07:07:48 PM
Can you also make a "Gallery" button in addition to the "My Gallery" button?

it should be in the images/english folder already :)
Mods

greyknight17

Great theme...finally found one for 1.1 RC1  8)

Have one problem though.  This problem seems to be intermittent.  I tried both the download from your site and the attachment here (and sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't).  The problem is that I get only the four corners of that white and green border.  I don't get the sides and top and bottom (they are just plain red).  So it just looks abnormal.

But I just tested it again and it's fine now (it was working for one and not the other and vice-versa).  Any idea what's happening?  Wish I could give a testing forum...but it's working now  :(   Just reinstalled it...

Is this a problem you experienced before?

Thanks.

scorp

I uploaded all the files to my server and chmoded to 777. It doesn't show up in my admin panel for themes. Any thoughts on what I missed. I am using 1.1RC. When I attempt to install it tfrom the admin panel, I get an error that says it cannot be installed because it does not exist.

girls4christ

The theme won't upload for me.  I am positive I am doing it right because I have uploaded 3 other themes before, but whenever I try to upload yours to the forum it says that the file doesn't exist, and I know it does because I uploaded it to my server. 

Above the area where I can install a new theme it says, "Warning - you cannot create or install a new theme as your themes directory is not currently writable!".  It has said this since I got the forum, but this has not hindered me installing new themes before so I don't see why it is now.

greyknight17

scorp and girls4christ, did you both try uploading it from SMF itself?  Go to your Admin Panel and then go to the Themes link on the left.  Under Manage and Install, go to the bottom and Browse for it - make sure you downloaded the Holiday Theme zip file already.  Then just browse and upload it.  Set the theme as your current theme if you wish to see how it looks like.

Also (girls4christ), try chmodding your SMF and Theme directory to 777.

I have a problem here with this theme myself.  The problem is that the theme seems to be causing problems with my login.  It worked without any problems before, but after a day (give or take), I couldn't login.  Thought it was a server problem...waited another day or two.  Then I retraced back what I did.  I installed this theme and also applied some mods to it.  Not sure if the mods could be the problem, but I have tested this multiple times (logging in and out) without any problems until a short while later (about a day later).  I just couldn't get my screen to come up.  Icould see whole forum without any problems - using older them, not Holiday.  But when I try to login, it's just a blank screen - attempting to log me in, but couldn't...

Any idea what's wrong there?

girls4christ

I'm not exactly sure what you meant by that, but I have uploaded the zip to my computer and extracted the files into a new folder and then I copied the folder to my server under "Themes" via FTP and I already changed the permissions to 777, but it still says that the theme does not exist.

greyknight17

girls4christ, I don't think that will work...

Login to your SimpleMachines Forum now.  Click on Admin button/link.  On the left hand side, look for  Themes and Layout and click on it. Then under Install a New Theme, click on the Choose button.  Look for your zip file and open it.  Then click on the Install button at the bottom and click OK in the popup.  It will say Installed Successfully.  Then all you have to do is click on the Manage and Install link (still on the same page) and change it either for the whole forum overall, or just change every member to that theme now.  That's it  :D

girls4christ

When I click choose I am only given the themes that I have already downloaded...it gives me no option to open my zip file. 

greyknight17

Quote from: girls4christ on December 11, 2005, 07:06:36 PM
When I click choose I am only given the themes that I have already downloaded...it gives me no option to open my zip file. 
OK, just double checked again and there is a way to install it manually (like you did - by chmodding and unzipping the files there).  If you want to do it that way (takes a bit more work on your end though...), you just need to point your forum to the theme folder you extracted to.  Go to Manage and Install again and under Install a New Theme, type in the folder name you gave your new Theme after the ..../Theme/ part.  So if it's called NewTheme, just type in NewTheme after the /home/your_username/public_html/SMF_path/Themes/.  Hit Install and that should do the rest for you since you already chmod them.

The method I mentioned earlier should be easier and faster to do though.  You don't need to unzip it.  Just click on Choose and look for your downloaded themes file.  Double click on that zip file.  It should bring you back to the forum.  Just hit Install and you're done.  Set it to your current theme if you want to use it and it should be finished from there.

girls4christ

That method was the one I already tried and didn't work in the first place, and the one with the zip folder still doesn't work.

No matter which way I do it the forum says that the theme doesn't exist.

scorp

OK..I got it finally.
Download the zip file and save it on your desktop. Leave it zipped.
click on your admin button in your SMF forum
then click on "themes and layout"
then go to the third boz down named " install a new theme"
click the browse button and locate the the zip file on your personal computers hard drive . Click the xip file name to select it.
click open.
the name of the zip file (including the path to the zip file should be displayed to the left of the browse button in the box
click install
Poof..it works.

Advertisement: