Where is the main menu on Curve? Help, Search, Admin, Moderate, Profile etc

Started by JustForFun, August 19, 2021, 08:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustForFun

I would like to change the order of the main menu, but I haven't been able to find it yet.

Help, Search, Admin, Moderate, Profile, My Messages, Members, Logout.

Thank you.

Antechinus

Sources/Subs.php :)

Although, it would be possible to change the order of the top level menu buttons purely with a bit of cunning CSS.

JustForFun

Quote from: Antechinus on August 19, 2021, 08:15:16 PMSources/Subs.php :)

Although, it would be possible to change the order of the top level menu buttons purely with a bit of cunning CSS.

Thank you Antechinus. What would be the easiest way to change it?

Antechinus

Exactly what do you want to do? Do you only want to change to order of the buttons, and nothing else?

Oh, and is this for 2.0 or 2.1?

Shades.

This mod is for 2.0 but works on 2.1 although the admin section is a little squished together but it works...
https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=2348 8)
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

JustForFun

Quote from: Antechinus on August 19, 2021, 08:39:55 PMExactly what do you want to do? Do you only want to change to order of the buttons, and nothing else?

Oh, and is this for 2.0 or 2.1?

It's 2.0.18. I want to change the order, and I want to move Admin & Moderator to the right side of the page.

Antechinus

Antechinus

Ok, all the main menu buttons come with individual ids (#button_home, etc). You see get these from a document inspector (right click > Inspect).

As an example, this will put the Home button last, and at the right side of the screen:

#menu_nav {
    display: flex;
    flex-wrap: wrap;
}
.dropmenu li {
    float: none;
}
#button_home {
    order: 9;
    margin-left: auto;
}

The way it works: setting the menu ul to flex - with the li's set to float: none; - lets you use CSS order to arrange each button in any order you want them. Just use a number big enough to make your chosen button the last one. Using margin-left: auto; on the Home button shoves that over to the right of the menu ul.

JustForFun

Quote from: Shades. on August 19, 2021, 09:14:11 PMThis mod is for 2.0 but works on 2.1 although the admin section is a little squished together but it works...
https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=2348 8)

Thank you Shades. I haven't installed any mods yet, but I'm about to learn how.

JustForFun

Quote from: Antechinus on August 19, 2021, 09:50:44 PMOk, all the main menu buttons come with individual ids (#button_home, etc). You see get these from a document inspector (right click > Inspect).

As an example, this will put the Home button last, and at the right side of the screen:

#menu_nav {
}
.dropmenu li {
    float: none;
}
#button_home {
}

The way it works: setting the menu ul to flex - with the li's set to float: none; - lets you use CSS order to arrange each button in any order you want them. Just use a number big enough to make your chosen button the last one. Using margin-left: auto; on the Home button shoves that over to the right of the menu ul.

Which file is that snippet of code from?

Antechinus

It's code I wrote myself, but you can add it to the end of index.css if you want to test it.

JustForFun

Quote from: Antechinus on August 19, 2021, 11:25:53 PMIt's code I wrote myself, but you can add it to the end of index.css if you want to test it.

I added the above code to the end of index.css, but I don't see any difference in the menu.

Antechinus

shadav

Quote from: Antechinus on August 20, 2021, 12:22:00 AMDid you try hard refreshing your browser? Ctrl+F5
and if you use cloudflare or the likes, you'll need to clear the cache there first then do a hard refresh on your browser

JustForFun

Quote from: shadav on August 20, 2021, 09:37:23 AM
Quote from: Antechinus on August 20, 2021, 12:22:00 AMDid you try hard refreshing your browser? Ctrl+F5
and if you use cloudflare or the likes, you'll need to clear the cache there first then do a hard refresh on your browser

I have triple checked to make sure that the modified  index.css file is loading. I don't use Cloudfare. Site is sitting on a byethost free account, where I don't see any way to dump server cache. I did notice that SMF has a cache directory..

Antechinus

It may be something to do with me running that code in Stylus instead of directly in index.css. I'll try it on a test site with an actual file edit, and get back to you.

Mick.

Antechinus

Quote from: JustForFun on August 20, 2021, 12:51:12 PMI have triple checked to make sure that the modified  index.css file is loading. I don't use Cloudfare. Site is sitting on a byethost free account, where I don't see any way to dump server cache. I did notice that SMF has a cache directory...
Ok, just tested it on local. It works as it should.
Obvious next question: are you using the SMF 2.0.x default theme?
Or are you running a different theme with a different menu structure?

JustForFun

Quote from: Antechinus on August 20, 2021, 05:23:37 PM
Quote from: JustForFun on August 20, 2021, 12:51:12 PMI have triple checked to make sure that the modified  index.css file is loading. I don't use Cloudfare. Site is sitting on a byethost free account, where I don't see any way to dump server cache. I did notice that SMF has a cache directory...

Thank you Antechinus..  I made the modification to a copy of Curve. Something I noticed before I decided to customize Curve, is that when I installed other Theme's, they wouldn't work unless I changed the local drive addresses. I don't know if that is a problem with Byethost or SMF but there is something strange going on. I didn't have to change the addressing on the copy of Curve for it to work though. I'll get back at it on Sunday and show you how I had to change those addresses.

JustForFun

Quote from: Antechinus on August 20, 2021, 05:23:37 PM

I just modified the original Default Curve. Thought that I had it figured out for a minute, but not. When I modified the copy of Curve I placed your script at the end like you said, but neglected to notice that there were two brackets at the end of the original page full of script. When I just modified the default original, them I put the two brackets after your script. Still no change to the menu.. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong.?

Antechinus

No idea right now. Can you attach a copy of your index.css please?

Antechinus

Ok, and you are saying that does not put the Home button over at the right side?

Because that is what the test case was. I don't know how many buttons you have in your menu, so I can't choose the right order number to put something last. You'll have to count them and do it yourself, or tell me how many buttons you have and what order they are in by default.

JustForFun

Quote from: Antechinus on August 23, 2021, 01:29:15 PMOk, and you are saying that does not put the Home button over at the right side?

Because that is what the test case was. I don't know how many buttons you have in your menu, so I can't choose the right order number to put something last. You'll have to count them and do it yourself, or tell me how many buttons you have and what order they are in by default.

That's correct.. The script that you gave me doesn't change the position of the Home Button.

Antechinus

Ok, I'll need to be hooked up to a live example of the problem. Can't really diagnose it like this.

Antechinus

Ok, just tried that code live on your site (via Stylus). It works as it should. So, I'm not sure why it won't work in your index.css. You can try adding !important to the code. I normally avoid that if possible (too many people use it without thinking) but it may work here.

#menu_nav {
}
.dropmenu li {
    float: none !important;
}
#button_home {
}

JustForFun

Quote from: Antechinus on August 23, 2021, 08:27:09 PMOk, just tried that code live on your site (via Stylus). It works as it should. So, I'm not sure why it won't work in your index.css. You can try adding !important to the code. I normally avoid that if possible (too many people use it without thinking) but it may work here.

#menu_nav {
}
.dropmenu li {
    float: none !important;
}
#button_home {
}

Okay, it has been replaced with this code.

Still no go. I'm starting to think that it might be best to blow that board down and reinstall since I didn't have any success with using the third party theme's that I have installed. Maybe they screwed up the default programing some how.

Antechinus

shadav

are you using the minify css and js option?
are you adding it to the theme you are using's css file?
after adding it do you clear your browser cache and then hard refresh your site ctrl+f5?
you said you're not using cloudflare but is your host/server using some cache?
do you have cache settings on smf?

shadav

Quote from: Antechinus on August 23, 2021, 08:55:32 PMThis is 2.0.x. No minify option. ;)
:-[  :laugh: missed that somewhere in the discussion
well one less thing to worry about then  :P

Advertisement: