News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

upgrading

Started by camefromwpandmybb, August 24, 2021, 03:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camefromwpandmybb

When the final release of 2.1 comes out, can you upgrade from a RC build or ?
i hate wordpress, vanilla, mybb and phpbb

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: camefromwpandmybb on August 24, 2021, 03:09:51 PMWhen the final release of 2.1 comes out, can you upgrade from a RC build or ?

Yes, you can.

Kindred

well, you can -- but there will still not be any PATCH to upgrade.  SO, upgrading to final from the RC will still require the whole upgrade.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

camefromwpandmybb

Quote from: Kindred on August 24, 2021, 05:44:03 PMwell, you can -- but there will still not be any PATCH to upgrade.  SO, upgrading to final from the RC will still require the whole upgrade.

So it will be a "large upgrade" basically?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

camefromwpandmybb

Quote from: Kindred on August 25, 2021, 06:13:05 PMYes

I guess I should have been more clearer.  Will it upgrade as a new vanilla site or will it keep the database, users, etc. etc. blah blah blah

shadav

both, it will upgrade the database so that no posts or users, etc are lost
however it will reset the forum to default as 2.0.x themes or mods will not work on 2.1.x
but everything in the database will still be there and attachments and avatars should still be there
but again the forum itself will be just the basic forum and you'll need to download themes and mods for 2.1.x that you'll want to use

camefromwpandmybb

Quote from: shadav on September 23, 2021, 07:56:49 PMboth, it will upgrade the database so that no posts or users, etc are lost
however it will reset the forum to default as 2.0.x themes or mods will not work on 2.1.x
but everything in the database will still be there and attachments and avatars should still be there
but again the forum itself will be just the basic forum and you'll need to download themes and mods for 2.1.x that you'll want to use

No, that is fine.  I added like 2 mods to the RC3 and am back to using the default theme.  That other theme you helped me on was a PITA to deal with.  I don't care what the author said, his theme is whack and no matter what I did, that header logo was not right.  Using the default them, looks good in mobile and the header centered like a mofo.  I HOPE one day, SMF will allow basic changes to the default theme colors via the admin, that blue is too soft for me haha.  I like basic black and white.

Thanks good to hear from you again.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

camefromwpandmybb

Quote from: vbgamer45 on September 23, 2021, 10:36:57 PMThis mod does the coloring changes for 2.1 https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=4231

oh man i tried that and could not understand the manual instructions cause packager would not install it

camefromwpandmybb

one more pain in the butt question.  does this wipe out custom settings like i swapped out the badge images for my own and used my own smilies

thank you

skb

Yes it will. You will need to redo these changes.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Arantor

Smilies should generally be kept. Group badges might need to be redone since the way they're implemented changed in 2.1 but as long as you have the images in every theme it should be fine.

Advertisement: