Mod suggestion: Contact Form to create thread

Started by landyvlad, August 24, 2021, 09:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

landyvlad

MOD SUGGESTION (for 2.1)

Context:
The existing contact form mods I've seen (on various forum software) all appear to simply send an email to a nominated address. (I believe this is an example https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=377 )
This is difficult to manage when the object is for all forum admins (or mods etc) as they'd all need access to the email address and to check it regularly.

PROPOSED MOD

FEATURES:

The form would have the fields -
Name or username:
Email address:
Subject:
Message Body:

and some sort of captcha (ideally reCaptcha v3  https://developers.google.com/recaptcha/docs/v3 )

* When contact form is used. the mod creates a new THREAD in (nominated board)
* Thread title:" Contact Form: Name: Subject"
* Thread 1st post content: Name, email address, Subject, Message body

In my scenario that nominated board would be one to which only admins and mods have access.

BENEFITS
* All admins / mods could view the thread.
* Discussion between admins and mods could take place in the thread before any action or response is made to the sender.
* Response could me made to user (via PM on forum) or via supplied email (for guests) 
* Ongoing record on forum.

It'd be great if someone would take up this challenge.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Shades.

ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

Diego Andrés

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

shadav

that is one thing that I do miss from phpbb, I had a mod from there that did this, when a contact us was created you could assign a board for them to be posted in to.
I'm sure if you ask nicely, and maybe some cash incentive vbgammer could add the option into the contact page mod (if not I may do it, just never really got around to it...other things to do and all that jazz, left it on the backburner...if you do go that route lemme know and I'll split the cost with you, or eventually (later than sooner) I'll get around to asking him myself  :laugh:  )

vbgamer45

I would be willing to work on it. I can normally do most things just takes time. Also sometimes more features equals more problems people encounter.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Kindred

I actually used to do this using the custom form mod.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

landyvlad

Thanks all.

@Kindred that looks workable but evidently not for 2.1.x - at least not at this stage.

@Shades that SimpleDesk one looks promising :)
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Arantor

SimpleDesk, much as it pains me to say it, is possibly overkill.

Mick.

Quote from: Arantor on August 27, 2021, 05:02:57 AMSimpleDesk, much as it pains me to say it, is possibly overkill.
I loved SimpleDesk when I had premium themes. Awesome mod. BTW, nice to see you around again.

For the OP, I'd use it. Maybe change some of the language text if needed?

vbgamer45

Have updated the contact page mod to include that feature
+Added option to post contact page submissions to a board of your choice under settings SMF 2.0.x SMF 2.1.x!
+Almost all Hooks now for 2.0 except for language files
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Kindred on August 26, 2021, 10:20:49 AMI actually used to do this using the custom form mod.
Same, it can do this. Apart from the captcha I think.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

landyvlad

Advertisement: