News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Attachment fails

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, September 06, 2021, 12:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Error message speaks for itself -

The current total attachment size allowed per post is 8192 KB. The total amount of the selected files is 803 KB.
 :P
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Oh, SMF needs to learn numbers - give it some time :D

Seriously though, anything more specific - exact version, errors?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

This forum few minutes ago.  File size is correct.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Will post for the site team to look at.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

It's repeatable, just did it again.  Interestingly, my test install shows this in attachment settings -

Maximum allowed by php.ini: 8192 KB

Uh, oh, file is now attached from previous attempt which I did not post. 

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

<sigh>  That message is always displayed after starting upload.  Attachments are working.  The attachment process has been "improved", it's a lot more complicated and confusing (to me, anyway).  And I see settings have been changed, can no longer use 0 for unlimited, took several attempts to figure that out.  These things should be simpler, like they were in 2.0.  Lot of old people use SMF.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Oh, alright - Can't set unlimited? I wonder if there's some actual good reason for that, seems odd if it was "just removed". Anyways, good to hear the attachments are working anyways.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Some of this makes no sense (to me).  Like the insert feature.  If you attach and insert an image, you get this.

You cannot view this attachment.

Why is it displayed in post and also as thumb below post?

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That's an option, you can change that behaviour.  And - I can quite easily picture, heh, use cases for both settings really.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Not here I can't.  That's default behavior, code files are displayed as duplicate links.  Don't see any purpose for that.

- R. Waters

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on September 06, 2021, 01:11:09 PMAnd I see settings have been changed, can no longer use 0 for unlimited, took several attempts to figure that out.
Quote from: Aleksi on September 06, 2021, 01:21:26 PMCan't set unlimited? I wonder if there's some actual good reason for that, seems odd if it was "just removed".

SMF 2.1 pays attention to the maximums set by PHP. If you try to set the maximum upload size to 0 for unlimited, SMF automatically changes the value to whatever PHP says its maximum is. This is why the description text displayed right under setting says:

QuoteMaximum allowed by php.ini: 8192 KB
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Sesquipedalian

As for why images are being shown both within the post and below it, that is simply because the admins here have not enabled the "Do not show attachments under the post if they are already embedded in it" setting. I personally always enable that setting on any forum that I administrate, but I'm not an admin here.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Shades.

I am having problems uploading an attachment in one of the support forums.

The error I get is:

Quoteezportal.GIF <html> <head><title>500 Internal Server Error</title></head> <body> <center><h1>500 Internal Server Error</h1></center> <hr><center>nginx</center> </body> </html> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> 57 KB

If this has anything to do with chrome, I'm using Edge not Chrome!

Also says: "The current total attachment size allowed per post is 8192 KB. The total amount of the selected files is 171 KB." ???
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

Oldiesmann

Not sure about the Internal Server Error. The other thing is an informational message that's always displayed, not an error.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Dzonny

We're aware of the problem and working on it, thanks for understanding! :)

Advertisement: