News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

When in Admin

Started by Kustomuk, September 10, 2021, 10:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Arantor on September 11, 2021, 06:46:13 AMIf you'd been telling me these things in 2014 when they were actually implemented, I might not have been quite so bitter about the whole experience.

FWIW, I made several suggestions (ok, and complaints) when 2.1 was alpha, which were treated rather rudely (not by you) and as a result lost interest.  Just recently gotten back to it when it was installed here, and I see nothing much was changed.  My forums, and all the forums I support are running 2.0, and will continue to do so for the forseeable future.  I am sorry that you've taken this whole thing badly.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Shades.

To be honest I don't know who on here does "what" (can't keep up) other than the folks that have helped me, not all cause some were just beta testers like myself but we've all worked together and figured things out! I usually just critique "mods" because SMF itself has been exceptional but I like learning and new ideas so I'm always open to that. You gotta be able to take the good, the bad, and the ugly doing what you do! You will never be able to please everybody and that is a fact! All you can do is know what you are doing is for the greater in your mind and move forward with that!

With that being said I see what you're saying but as an intermediate i also see where the beginners are coming from...as I hate having to work on my site for an hour then get timed out before I was able to save what I was doing! Been there and done that! I don't know a lot but I dam sure don't know how to go into the database and turn the admin login off so it's nice to have on smaller (beginner to intermediate) forum owners. On larger forums I can see the security risk! (Us smaller guys don't have much to lose)

So that was my constructive criticism and here's my idea, (although I have no clue if its do-able):

Code it somehow where you can turn it off in admin for however long like maybe an hour or two or three or whatever and then it automatically resets itself.

But ultimately I believe (wrong or right, my opinion only) it should be left alone to the admin of his/her own forum to decide on this option!

Just my two cents! 8) 
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

Advertisement: