Inserting Viglink Script into index.template.php file?

Started by NewbTube, September 15, 2021, 08:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewbTube

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me insert the Viglink script in the proper location in the index.template.php file. I've done some research and learned I need to add \ before every ' but still errors.

Here is the script I need to add:

<script type="text/javascript">

var vglnk = {key: 'b27c327a33221fbd44a77db81ff6b4d1'};

(function(d, t) {

var s = d.createElement(t);

s.type = 'text/javascript';

s.async = true;

s.src = '//cdn.viglink.com/api/vglnk.js';

var r = d.getElementsByTagName(t)[0];

r.parentNode.insertBefore(s, r);

}(document, 'script'));

</script>

And here is the section in the file where I think I am supposed to be inserting the script:

// Show the load time?
if ($context['show_load_time'])
echo '
<p>', $txt['page_created'], $context['load_time'], $txt['seconds_with'], $context['load_queries'], $txt['queries'], '</p>';

echo '
</div></div>', !empty($settings['forum_width']) ? '
</div>' : '';
}

function template_html_below()
{
global $context, $settings, $options, $scripturl, $txt, $modSettings;

echo '
</body></html>';
}

// Show a linktree. This is that thing that shows "My Community | General Category | General Discussion"..
function theme_linktree($force_show = false)

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

shadav

i'm not sure what all you have done already and that you can undo, there is a mod for that to make it easier ;)
https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=2817

Mick.

Try this and add it before the closing body tag.

Open index.template.php and find:
{
// Load in any javascipt that could be deferred to the end of the page
template_javascript(true);

echo '

Add your code after echo '

var vglnk = {key: \'b27c327a33221fbd44a77db81ff6b4d1\'};

(function(d, t) {

s.type = \'text/javascript\';

s.async = true;

s.src = \'//cdn.viglink.com/api/vglnk.js\';

}(document, \'script\'));

</script>

Antechinus

This is for 2.0.x (I can tell from the markup in the OP) so template_javascript(true); does not exist, but the same general idea will work if the apostrophes are all escaped in the javascript.

This runs without syntax errors on a test site (although I have not actually tested it for VigLink functionality):
{
global $context, $settings, $options, $scripturl, $txt, $modSettings;

echo '

var vglnk = {key: \'b27c327a33221fbd44a77db81ff6b4d1\'};

(function(d, t) {

s.type = \'text/javascript\';

s.async = true;

s.src = \'//cdn.viglink.com/api/vglnk.js\';

}(document, \'script\'));

</script>

</body></html>';
}

Mick.

NewbTube

Okay, thanks guys! I really appreciate the direction. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Yeah.. I'm still on older software I guess. To be honest, I may be the most uniformed and least technically inclined forum owner here! Lol. I really need to work on that. I only own this one site and only because it was a topic I was interested in and saw a need for a community.. so I stumbled my way through installing simple machines 7 years ago and have been pretty much hands off since.

Fast forward to today, and my site is getting 150k pageviews a month and growing pretty fast and might actually produce me a bit of side income. I download manual backups through cpanel but that is the extent of my abilities. I don't know how to check the backups or even re-upload them should I ever need to. I don't even want to try installing that mod bc if something happened, I wouldn't know how to fix it. I can however make a copy of the index.template.php file and replace it if there are errors. Foolish, I know.

Now I need to upgrade to the latest software release, install SSL certificate, and be able to manage backups more effectively since I have a community depending on me to keep the information they've worked so hard on alive. Any advice on where to start? I would be willing to pay someone to help me out and get me up to speed if need be.

Thanks again.

NewbTube

Okay so I installed the script as Antechinus described with no errors and the "check your installation" tool on Viglink said it detected the link and install was successful. Awesome. Thanks a lot.

Advertisement: