News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

request info

Started by Methen, September 17, 2021, 11:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Methen

it has been a long time since I have messed with this forum can some tell me if this forum has the ability to create invisible boards that I can pass word protect that I only what certain people to see of if there is a mod that will do it ?
Somebody is asking for a Hinne Whooping!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No password protected boards, but invisible boards only accessible by select membergroups is built in functionality.
SMF is designed to only show you boards you can access.

For 1.1 and 2.0 I believe there is a mod for password protected boards, but honestly I have personally never understood why people want that - what's the use case?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

The workaround usually suggested is to make a group that can see the board, make it requestable and have people put in the reason why people want to join.

But password protected boards are only as secure as 'let's hope no-one tells anyone else the password', which happens more than you'd think.

Methen

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on September 17, 2021, 11:41:19 AMNo password protected boards, but invisible boards only accessible by select membergroups is built in functionality.
SMF is designed to only show you boards you can access.

For 1.1 and 2.0 I believe there is a mod for password protected boards, but honestly I have personally never understood why people want that - what's the use case?
Do not have a user case more of a  just curious thing would you happen to know where that mod is located ?

Methen

Quote from: Arantor on September 17, 2021, 12:58:25 PMThe workaround usually suggested is to make a group that can see the board, make it requestable and have people put in the reason why people want to join.

But password protected boards are only as secure as 'let's hope no-one tells anyone else the password', which happens more than you'd think.
understood.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Methen on September 17, 2021, 02:14:21 PMDo not have a user case more of a  just curious thing would you happen to know where that mod is located ?
I was thinking of this https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=2873
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: