.dat missing from attachments

Started by SethStudent, September 16, 2021, 07:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SethStudent

I'm once again doing a test upgrade on a copy of my forum, I really want to move over to 2.1. It's gone well so far, but I'm getting errors on attachments even though they can be viewed and downloaded just fine.

2: md5_file(/home/blah/public_html/sos-test/attachments/3060_1a21ac7fc6d56c028e98c844c28edd25b95f9f87): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

There are no .dat extensions on any of my 2,362 attachments. I manually added the extension to that one file, but I still get the error, it just shows .dat at the end now. I uploaded a NEW attachment, and see it has the .dat extension and does not cause an error.

Was this just a glitch in my upgrade? I'd downloaded the RC4 large upgrade file from SMF. Should I just create a new test copy of my forum and try again?

https://sos-test.tejadadesigns.com

Update: FYI personal profile avatars appear to be missing too.

Emre A.

Ask for the list of allowed downloadable files from the hosting company used. I guess since the hosting company used is free hosting, some of your permissions are being denied.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

How were the files copied over to the test install? Did they actually work before you did the upgrade?
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

SethStudent

Quote from: Emre A. on September 17, 2021, 01:54:47 AMAsk for the list of allowed downloadable files from the hosting company used. I guess since the hosting company used is free hosting, some of your permissions are being denied.

Thanks guys.

Hosting is paid, not free. I've been with them for 4 years. I looked at the directory and file permissions and they appear to be correct (0755, 0644). Odd thing is, I ran an upgrade test back in 2019 on RC3, and did not have this problem, but decided it was too early to use SMF2.1 at the time. Today I put in a support ticket to the host to verify that they are not in some way preventing the upgrader to do its job, and the host verified the permissions are correct and nothing is blocking the upgrader from adding .dat to attachments.

Quote from: Aleksi on September 17, 2021, 02:29:27 AMHow were the files copied over to the test install? Did they actually work before you did the upgrade?

I created a new directory, and copied the live site's files over using the Control Panel's File Manager/Copy. Yes, the files are fine in my current production site. No .dat extensions, which is the way it's supposed to be as it's running on SMF 2.0.18  https://speakingofseth.com

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Okay, the actual move probably was ok - hosting control panels are usually pretty reliable with that.
Did you try the attachments in the new location before the upgrade script though?

I'm just trying to narrow things down a bit, to be more precise I'm trying to pin point where and when the issue appeared exactly - and if it's more likely to be something hosting specific, or caused by the upgrade script.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

SethStudent

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on September 17, 2021, 11:16:08 AMDid you try the attachments in the new location before the upgrade script though?

No, I didn't. I'm in the process of creating another test site and will check the attachments before I do an upgrade on it. Then I'll update here. Thank you.

SethStudent

OK, new test site is up and running. Attachments are working just fine, no error messages. Members' personal Avatars are working.

I'll have to do the upgrade later today, but for now just two little questions. Once someone told me to uninstall any Mods before doing an upgrade. Is that true? I don't see that in the upgrading instructions. I did not do that on the first test site. If I'm supposed to uninstall Mods (I only have a few, most of which have become standards in 2.1), do I also uninstall the SMF Update ones? I have SMF 2.0.12 thru 2.0.18.

Kindred

You don't generally have to uninstall mods -- since a major upgrade overwrites all files and the upgrade script should disable all hooks from old mods.

Regardless, never uninstall the SMF updates.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SethStudent

Quote from: Kindred on September 17, 2021, 01:00:29 PMRegardless, never uninstall the SMF updates.

Thank you. I see in my first upgrade test they all appear to be disabled, including the update mods. I'll just leave those alone.

SethStudent

I'm very pleased to announce that just I ran a second test upgrade in a copy of my site, and it went very quickly with no problems. All the files in the attachments folder have the .dat extensions, the few personal avatars I checked are also working just fine. Yay! Thanks for the help!

One last question: As all the mods were disabled by the upgrade, do I now "Install Emulating" for the SMF updates (see attached)?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Happy to hear you got it working in the end.
You can now just delete those packages. You don't need them for anything anymore :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

SethStudent

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on September 18, 2021, 11:30:42 AMYou can now just delete those packages. You don't need them for anything anymore :)

Quote from: Kindred on September 17, 2021, 01:00:29 PMRegardless, never uninstall the SMF updates.

Thanks, I was hoping they were included in the upgrade. Maybe Kindred meant on the "old" non-upgraded site?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That's basically right, the large upgrade makes them unnecessary as the large upgrade contains all already up to date files.

You can pretty much always actually delete the update packages, on the old version as well - as long as you don't uninstall them you are good. Keeping all installed packages is generally a good idea though if you don't need the diskspace for something more important.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: