News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Issue with Registration and Login on SMF 2.0.18

Started by Slayer_Loving_Kitten, September 25, 2021, 02:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slayer_Loving_Kitten

I have had experience with SMF in the past. And almost zero serious issues during that time.

Over the past 1.5 years, I was running my forum from the main directory on my site. Recently, I installed a fresh copy of SMF to a new directory (website.com/forum)
..since then, I have been plagued with problems.

If you click register or login, you are taken to a blank page.

At other times, logging in from the main page will give you an error. Both on login and logout ..the "sometimes" error is - Unable to verify referring URL.

This is the newest version.
The only mods I am using are -
Simple Image Upload
Simple Audio / Video Embedder

I was using Bad Behavior but removed it. I have gone through my directories and removed any other remnants I could find..But I could be missing something.

I am using Carbon Red theme..which is the same theme I used for 1.5 years without any issues.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would certainly appreciate it.

EDIT - I should also add that I did some searching..but my issues appear a little different than some of the results I have found.

Kindred

First, "newest" is never a good version to use as a description...  do you mean 2.0.18?  2.1 rc4? 2.1 rc4+?

Second, did you set up your new forum with a separate database? Or were you trying to move the existing forum?
If it was a move, did you change ALL of the paths and urls? Did you update the cookie settings?
What is the url of your forum?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Also if you're getting a white screen there should be an error log somewhere for it.

Slayer_Loving_Kitten

Quote from: Kindred on September 25, 2021, 05:54:00 AMFirst, "newest" is never a good version to use as a description...  do you mean 2.0.18?  2.1 rc4? 2.1 rc4+?

Second, did you set up your new forum with a separate database? Or were you trying to move the existing forum?
If it was a move, did you change ALL of the paths and urls? Did you update the cookie settings?
What is the url of your forum?

Yeah, I had the version number in the post title.
"Issue with Registration and Login on SMF 2.0.18"

Everything was a fresh install. Completely fresh. This happened after two fresh installs. I stated that it was a fresh install in the post.
"Recently, I installed a fresh copy of SMF to a new directory"

Quote from: Arantor on September 25, 2021, 05:55:56 AMAlso if you're getting a white screen there should be an error log somewhere for it.

There was no error log for it.
At all. Only for "unable to verify referring URL"..Which was a different issue
completely.

That issue was when an account logged in..such as Admin...
It would sometimes fail to log the user in or out..stating, "Unable to verify existing URL"...
That would happen when logging in as normal..on the main page.
The "blank" screens came from the "login" or "register" links..

I fixed it.

Here is how - I tossed 2.0.18 in the garbage and installed a fresh 2.0.17.
Problem solved.

Toodles...

Arantor

And now you have to hope your host never upgrades your PHP on you.

Toodles.

Kindred

Also 2.0.18 has security updates.
Using an outdated version is never a good plan.

You made a bunch of statements which YOU might think are clear,  but they are not.

Did you use a NEW database for the "fresh install"?

What were your cookies settings in the /forum directory one.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Quote from: Kindred on September 25, 2021, 10:01:29 PMAlso 2.0.18 has security updates.
Using an outdated version is never a good plan.

You made a bunch of statements which YOU might think are clear,  but they are not.

Did you use a NEW database for the "fresh install"?

What were your cookies settings in the /forum directory one.

You're wasting your time. OP clearly doesn't care about actually fixing the problem.

Advertisement: