News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Auto Split Topic when it reaches X posts

Started by bluemuse, October 01, 2021, 06:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluemuse

I'm dealing with huge topics with more than 1000 posts, DB is struggling so splitting is being the only solution to keep server alive. Can't find a mod to auto split huge topics. Looking for a coder to do that if it is even possible. thanks

Kindred

Ummmmmmmm.....   no. Splitting the topic will not have the result you seem to think.

Get a better host is really the only answer to your problem.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Shambles

Splitting a topic into multiple segments would most likely make the 2nd, and subsequent "new topics", look disjointed, especially when representing a continuation of a discussion.

Do what Meany says - improve your host.

Sesquipedalian

The number of posts in a topic makes no difference to performance, because only a limited subset of those posts are ever loaded on any given page. If you are having performance issues, the problem lies elsewhere. As Kindred says, the most likely reason is that your host is providing you with severely restrained resources.

Regarding your mod request itself, it would be possible to make something to do what you ask, but I doubt you would find the result to have been worth the cost. Even if you decide to impose an arbitrary length limit on topics, you are not going to have topics running into that limit frequently enough to require an automated system to deal with it. Instead, just split off the new replies and lock the old topic when the situation arises.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Okay, I posted to suggest an auto-lock mod - but for the life of me I can't find that exact mod right now.
I think there used to be one that allowed a set limit of posts until the topic got locked.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

we dont know which version the OP is running, so suggesting a mod may not work depending on what version they are running.

KittyGalore

Quote from: Aleksi on October 01, 2021, 01:01:37 PMOkay, I posted to suggest an auto-lock mod - but for the life of me I can't find that exact mod right now.
I think there used to be one that allowed a set limit of posts until the topic got locked.
This is it i installed this the other day and it still works on 2.0.18 it doesn't create a new topic but does lock after a you set your desired amount of posts.

https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=2685
SMF Curve 2.0x

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

shadav

just to throw my 2 cents worth in
I know a forum (not smf) that did this for a while and they get a lot of posts
like I can't keep up with some threads some days, within 10 minutes there may be 30+ new pages to read in just one thread
they used to once the thread reached like 5,000 posts (not sure on that number) would lock the thread and you'd have to start a new thread part 2
but after doing this for a year or two realized that it really wasn't helping with performance

bluemuse

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. I'm currently running  SMF 2.0.18, I can tell you that huge topics do take more load instead of small topics. Imagine a huge topic with 1000 posts and 1000 topics with one post, the splitting, merging and removing messages or moding posts whithin that topic is an headache, that's what I was talking about. I'm on a dedicated server and InnoDB enabled, don't have down time but sometimes I need to remove a post in the middle of hundreds of posts and MySql gets stuck, it doesnt happen in small topics.

For now seems the replies before lock mod, so KittyGalore thanks for that!

Advertisement: