Recent edits not always showing up in RSS feed

Started by Wouter-Jansen, October 10, 2021, 10:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wouter-Jansen

Hello SMF, see subject for a short description of my issue.
I frequent a forum daily and keep myself updated with new content by using RSS.
At the bottom of a topic page I am looking at right now, it says "SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines" so I thought this issue/topic would belong in 2.0.x support.
Edits to posts have come up fine in the past (I'm quite sure it wasn't an issue before but I do not know when this issue started), but these same edits have been missing for a good while now.

eg. first post in a topic gets a big update (a lot of new content), I only find out about it now when the user also posts a new message saying that they updated it.
I have created my own program that saves these messages from the RSS into a database. Whenever there is an edit to a message, in my viewport, it compares the new message to the old one and shows the changes. this saves me a lot of re-reading from big posts, and I can focus on the newly added content.

but now, as these edits no longer show up in RSS, this is quite annoying for me personally.

most of the time, the original post was made in 2020. the edits that do show up in my RSS feed are more recent, in 2021. so I think the date of the original post may be part of the cause of this issue.

I have tried contacting the admin of the forums, but he is rather unhelpful atm;

his response is:
"It probably only tracks things that would mark a topic unread. Which means new posts and maybe edits to the last post in a topic.
Only the last post of a topic I think"
and won't look into it further even after I showed him proof that I was still getting edits (thus not only posts) in my RSS feed, but only edits from more recently posted messages (and not only to the last post, which I showed him proof of).
he still stuck to his same type of response:
"A post edit on a post from over a year ago isn't going to add a new entry to the recent posts RSS feed
The RSS feed is for recent posts, that's it"

Obviously, a new/recent edit to an old post, still contains new, recent content. The age/date of the original post should not matter at all.

By making this topic, I am hoping to find a solution to my issue and/or to find information to help the forums admin help me tackle my issue.

Kind regards

Kindred

edits don't change the timestamp of the original post --- so no...   an edit to an existing post will NOT show up as new in the RSS feed.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Wouter-Jansen

I have plenty of edits showing up in my RSS feed. they do change the timestamp of the "Last Edited at" that can be seen at the bottom of an edited post.

Kindred

AFAIK, edited posts should not show up in the "recent posts" rss feed...
Yes, they show the "last edited", but (without looking at the code) it was my impression that the RSS feed was based on post time/date, not last edited.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Wouter-Jansen

"Recent posts" is more restrictive than "recent changes". I do not specify an action in the url that I use for my rss feed, and as I understand, action then defaults to "recent". I think it would be more apt for that to refer to "recent changes" than to "recent posts", and it has done so for me in the past as well (and still does except for the issue I'm encountering). Because that is what I want from my rss feed, recent changes.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

AFAIK there is no functionality in SMF to show you recent changes - There is a function to show recent posts, and a way to highlight topics that have changed since you read them. Even combining these two would not amount to a list of recent changes.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: