News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Quote Selected Text problems

Started by SethStudent, September 27, 2021, 12:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SethStudent

I posted this to the Bug Reports board 3 days ago and while my attached image has been viewed 6 times, I received no responses to my post, so my thought is it's not a bug and purely my problem with Quote Selected Text.

A week ago I upgraded from 2.0.18 to 2.1RC4. Everything went smoothly, I love 2.1!

1. About 1/3 of the time, maybe more often, the QST button does not appear when text is highlighted. I see it does appear instantly here on SMF.

2. If I triple click text to highlight, the QST button does appear instantly, but it makes two quotes, one with a random word from the highlighted text and the other the proper quote. (see attachment)

3. If I click Save as Draft, the links in the quote disappear. If I use Modify to edit, the links disappear.

How do I even begin to troubleshoot this? I'm not a coder, but can follow directions. When I was using 2.0, I had the dQuoteSelection mod installed. Could there be an artifact leftover from that in the files? In the db?

The only mods I have now are Awesome Post Ratings, Quick Spoiler and Simple Audio Video Embedder. They are all working fine. I still have my trial-run upgrade test site up, no mods installed, yet have the same problems with quotes.

Detail: No Error Messages. Default Theme. No extra language packs. Using UTF-8. Server info: Apache 2.4.48; PHP 7.3.29; MySQL 10.3.31-MariaDB-log-cll-lve; OS linux

https://speakingofseth.com

Kindred

you have at least two mods that affect the BBC....   so chances are it's a problem with one of those installs.

Since you only have 3 mods --  I suggest uninstalling all mods and see if it still has the problem.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SethStudent

Quote from: Kindred on September 27, 2021, 12:29:04 PMSince you only have 3 mods --  I suggest uninstalling all mods and see if it still has the problem.

Thank you. I did mention above that my trial site also has the problem with no Mods installed, but I went ahead and uninstalled the Mods in my production site and got this error:

'The file "quick_spoiler.css" could not be located on the current or the default theme and, therefore, it was not included in the minified file.'

The QST button is appearing again, but the links in the quotes are still being deleted when I use Save as Draft and Modify.

Which two Mods do I have that affect BBC? I paid for Awesome Post Ratings and the members are really attached to it.

Arantor

Quick Spoiler and SAVE both affect bbcode. Though I would rather suspect this is more to do with your operating system and browser, neither of which are mentioned that I can see?

1. If it works here but not your site (especially with the issue you mention with the spoiler mod), it's probably your site.

2. This I have reason to believe is operating system and browser dependent.

3. I'd ask if it was reproducible here but I'm not sure drafts are even turned on which is unfortunate as it's one of the features in 2.1 that isn't being thoroughly tested.

SethStudent

I'm on a Mac, Big Sur up to date, the problem is the same in Safari. Other members have the same problem, it's not just me, and most of them are on Windows.

Quote from: Arantor on September 27, 2021, 01:03:49 PMQuick Spoiler and SAVE both affect bbcode.

I can do without SAVE, I see there's a built-in YT button now, even though the links in old posts will just be links. Not a huge issue. Too bad about Quick Spoiler, since it's been used a TON. But with all mods being turned off, something else is wrong. I actually have two trial-run upgrade copies of the forum and the stripping of links is a problem with both of them.

Any idea what I can do to find out what the problem is? Where do I start? I could turn off Drafts, but Modify would still be a problem.

Update: I completely turned Drafts off, and the deleted quote links problem with Modify persists.

Kindred

at this point, something is corrupted.   Replace your files with a clean set....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SethStudent

Quote from: Kindred on September 27, 2021, 04:30:14 PMat this point, something is corrupted.  Replace your files with a clean set....

OK, just finished up with that... I made a completely new test site with a duplicate of my files and imported the db, followed the directions from the SMF wiki "How to upload a fresh set of files." Still the same problem.  :'(  BTW most of the smiley tooltips here are in German, I hope I chose the correct one lol.

I've had this forum since 2014, have had a few different mods since then, who knows which file is corrupted. There are files and directories in the main directory as old as 2017 (most are 2020/21). Is there a way I can replace ALL of my files with new ones?

Or could it be something lingering in the database?

Or is there someone that knows SMF very well that I can hire to troubleshoot? I've been using SMF since 2005. I love it and it would be worth it to me to get this working properly.

Kindred

Pm me tge url. an admin login to the forum, and cpanel utl & login. I'll try to look a it on Wednesday
Слaва
Украинi

SethStudent

Quote from: Kindred on September 27, 2021, 10:03:47 PMPm me tge url. an admin login to the forum, and cpanel utl & login. I'll try to look a it on Wednesday

Thank you. Look for a PM from me.

Kindred

received.   Will look into it this afternoon (EDT)
Слaва
Украинi

SethStudent

Thank you!

BTW I've been gathering a list of problems and requests about our forum's functionality since the upgrade. Would SMF Support prefer I present them in separate topics?

Arantor

New topic about each function/subject is usually best :)

Kindred

BTW: To close this loop....

This originally posted issue with "quote selected text" was a known issue, reported in August and fixed  with a PR in GitHub. https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/pull/7009
apparently this was triggered by selecting text to quote, then reselecting different text... and THEN clikcing to QST button.  QST was apparently storing multiple selections and applying all to the reply box.

I am assisting the OP with the other issues now. :)

Слaва
Украинi

SethStudent

A big THANK YOU to Kindred for finding the fix for the quoting problems we were having! The author/post links are no longer being stripped out of quotes when using Draft and Modify, the Quote Selected Text button now appears for our desktops regardless of how the text is selected.

We're all very grateful and happy and loving SMF 2.1! Great job everyone, we've been waiting for 2.1 for a long time!

MazziBig

Quote from: SethStudent on October 04, 2021, 06:11:54 PMThe author/post links are no longer being stripped out of quotes when using Draft and Modify
I have same problem. How  do you fix this? Conflict with QuickSpoiler Mod?

shadav

Quote from: MazziBig on October 20, 2021, 04:07:25 AM
Quote from: SethStudent on October 04, 2021, 06:11:54 PMThe author/post links are no longer being stripped out of quotes when using Draft and Modify
same applies
and well are you using the latest git version of smf 2.1 rc?
Quote from: Kindred on September 27, 2021, 12:29:04 PMyou have at least two mods that affect the BBC....   so chances are it's a problem with one of those installs.

Since you only have 3 mods --  I suggest uninstalling all mods and see if it still has the problem.
Quote from: Kindred on September 30, 2021, 12:38:33 PMBTW: To close this loop....

This originally posted issue with "quote selected text" was a known issue, reported in August and fixed  with a PR in GitHub. https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/pull/7009
apparently this was triggered by selecting text to quote, then reselecting different text... and THEN clikcing to QST button.  QST was apparently storing multiple selections and applying all to the reply box.

I am assisting the OP with the other issues now. :)

SethStudent

Quote from: MazziBig on October 20, 2021, 04:07:25 AM

MaziBig it was fixed when the site was updated with the most recent version of 2.1 RC4 from GitHub. It was not a conflict with the QuickSpoiler mod so I was able to turn that back on again.

Kindred

So far, all issues on the SethStudent Site have been actual bugs. confirmed and fixed by manual patching or updating to the newest RC code form github
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: