News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

url issue

Started by Dr Web, October 24, 2021, 01:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Web

What is happening is exactly what you said here
Quote from: shadav on November 01, 2021, 01:36:53 PMif you try to add 2 boards with the same name you will notice that pretty url will then automatically assign the second one with a number at the end

Even if I deleted the General Discussion board that comes with SMF, it is still somewhere in the code, so pretty URLs see the "second one" with the same name, and assign the second one with a number at the end. I think this is the proof that pretty URLS has nothing to do with this problem.   

It's everything fixed and working perfectly.

The only thing that still happens is when i want to change something, i need to let the page load completely, wait about 10 seconds, and, only then click to change. But even so sometimes I need to try a few times. I already tried with Firefox and Chrome to see if it is a browser thing, but, it happened with both.

My Host told me that they do not have any cache installed by default, so I don't know why this happens.

But on pretty URLS when I try to chance a board name, when it says "Add URL", if I insert a URL, I can change it after a couple attempts. If I insert only "general-discussion", I can try 30 times that the system doesn't accept.   

I will PM you now.

Thank you.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction ;D

shadav

just to note for others offering help:

user still has the issue with cache not letting them change settings

in their admin under configuration > server settings > caching
set Caching Level to No caching

I was then able to change settings without any issues, I then turned caching back to level 1 and issues persisted

I was able to change the board to general-discussion without issue after turning off smf cache

for some reason having smf caching turned on causes problems and I'm still willing to bet it's because their server has some sort of caching in place or are using cloudflare or something like this that also has caching in place that is conflicting with smf caching

Dr Web

I contacted my host again, and they guaranteed that they don't have any cache by default in the server.

I also don't see anything. I have there Cloudfare and LSCache, but they are not installed.

I deleted the board you changed yesterday to General Discussion, and created a new one with the name in my language, and it has a number in the end. I still couldn't solve this problem.

I have no cache in the forum since yesterday you was there.

The last chance is to clean the cache of pretty urls to see if it solves the problem.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction ;D

Steve

Let us know what happens.

Btw, love your sig :D
DO NOT pm me for support!

Dr Web

Ok. I don't have any cache in the server, also No Cache in the Admin panel, I just emptied the pretty_urls_cache table, and I still can't change the URL to show up without the number.

Once again I deleted the General Discussion board, and created another one, and again it has a number.

And now you still think it is a cache problem? If so, why can I create boards with any other name and I don't even need to run the Maintenance, and the urls are immediately rewritten?

I think all points for a core code problem, because the board is there somewhere in the code, so pretty urls Mod sees it, and as there is not possible to have two boards with the same name, it assigns a number to the "second" one.

After all this, it's the only explanation that makes sense, IMO.   

I am open to opinions.

Dr Web

Quote from: Steve on November 02, 2021, 02:57:43 PMLet us know what happens.

Btw, love your sig :D

LOL, a friend of mine used it once in a forum, and I loved it so I use it too.

Please read the post above. I can't solve the problem. I can create as many boards I want with the names I want, and they immediately get a prety url, without any number in the end.

Only if I create a board with the name "General Discussion", or "Discussao Geral", that is General Discussion in Portuguese, language that I have also installed, they get a number in the end, and pretty urls do not let me change it.

Kindred

This really is related to pretty urls and needs to be addressed by the author of that mid, not smf support
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Dr Web

Quote from: Kindred on November 02, 2021, 11:37:34 PMThis really is related to pretty urls and needs to be addressed by the author of that mid, not smf support

I already asked you why you think it is not related to the core code of smf but related to pretty urls mod, even if all the evidences and common sense point to a problem of the core code.

Shadav thought it was a cache problem. I have no cache at all in the forum now, and the problem still persists.

Yesterday I tried another trick, I tried to change the URL from "discussao-geral=21" to "discusao-geral", taking out an S from the word "discussao", writing it wrongly, and it was accepted.

I am not 100% sure it is a problem with the code, but as all points to that, you could help with your knowledge explaining why you think it is not a code problem but a pretty urls problem, because just kicking the issue to the other guy is not helping me in any way, or any other forum member reading this thread.

Illori

SMF does not have this feature by default, so it HAS to be a mod issue and the author should support you in fixing it. even if this uses core SMF code the author would know what the code is and how to fix it.

in this board we support issues in the default core SMF code, your issue cannot be duplicated or fixed in the default code without using this mod. so we are pointing you in the direction of the mod author so you can get this fixed.

Dr Web

Thanks for your response. This is how to respond a question. Clear and to the point, and giving a reason why it has to do with the Mod.

Advertisement: