How to filter spammers on registration the way like big forums do it?

Started by Sono, October 31, 2021, 06:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sono

I have been running a forum for a while (SMF 2.x), and since the beginnings I, as the admin, approve registrations manually. Time by time I see spammers or spambots trying to sign up. I have some anti-spambot mods installed, but inspite of that somehow they manage to get through the defence and solve the security puzzles and questions, too. Every week there is 1 or 2 trying to register. However I noticed that in lots of huge forums online, there is no "admin approved registering only" rule, and once you register you can post right away. So how can they protect the forum effectively this way? What mod shall I use to be able to run my forum this way, so that there will be no spammers registering or being able to post if they manage to register?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

shadav

I have mine set to email activation....half of the time these idiot bots don't even use real email addresses
I also have a good handful of questions set up and show them 2 or 3 at a time, as most of my sites are more niche the questions are related to the site or it's content making it a bit more difficult for bots to answer
once I start noticing bots/spammers getting through I switch up the questions
new users have to pass verification for every post they make until they get over 5 or 10 posts (depends on the site)
again new users can not post links until they pass at least 10 posts

I used to use mods to try and help but in the end really just using some good verification questions has worked out better and well limiting what new members can do helps also deter spammers as it's not worth their time

landyvlad

SMF2.0.x I strongly recommend the mods 'Stop Spammer' and 'httpBL' - they work very well.
Used in combination with a few questions the number of spammers who've actually got through to post on the forums - in the space of over 4 years would be countable on one hand.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

shadav

Quote from: landyvlad on November 01, 2021, 02:45:15 AMSMF2.0.x I strongly recommend the mods 'Stop Spammer' and 'httpBL' - they work very well.
Used in combination with a few questions the number of spammers who've actually got through to post on the forums - in the space of over 4 years would be countable on one hand.

my only nitpick with that is that httpBL doesn't allow ipv6 users to your forum so you can accidently ban yourself and any members who use ipv6 instead of ipv4 ;) *other than  that* they do work very well

Advertisement: