News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Quick Reply

Started by Coyote Keith, November 11, 2021, 09:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyote Keith

Is there a way to turn this off. It's causing too much confusion as it doesn't support attachments. Thanks

TurtleKicker

Coyote Keith

I've been all through that and still can't find an option to disable it in 2.1

Diego Andrés

Each member can disable it or enable it.
You'd need to go to Theme Settings > Member options and reset the options for members, as well as setting default settings for guests and new members.
Although that won't prevent a user from re-enabling it from the profile.

You could also remove the quick reply box entirely by editing the Display.template.php

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Coyote Keith

Like I said, I've been all through the member settings. There is nothing about it. If you can show me a screen shot of it, perhaps that would help.

This is what is shown.  (I had it turned of on 2.0, before the upgrade)

You cannot view this attachment.

Diego Andrés

Admin > Themes and Layout > Member Options. There you select the theme you are using and use any of the three options accordingly.

Coyote Keith

Yes but where is the option. There is none on 2.1
None in the profile panel either

Diego Andrés

You can remove it by editing the Display.template.php then.
Just need to comment these lines or delete them.

// Show quickreply
if ($context['can_reply'])
template_quickreply();

Coyote Keith

Thank you. I may do that if I can't find out why the option to turn it off is gone. My preference is to keep mods to a minimum on this install.

Kindred

I believe that the option was removed because no one ever asked to turn it off and there were hundreds of requests on how to force it to be on.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Coyote Keith

Quote from: Kindred on November 11, 2021, 12:31:02 PMI believe that the option was removed because no one ever asked to turn it off and there were hundreds of requests on how to force it to be on.

I'd agree if they didn't remove the attach option from the quick reply.

Diego Andrés

It never had an attachment option in the quick reply

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yeah, never was there - I don't remember seeing a mod to do that either really.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

GL700Wing

Quote from: Coyote Keith on November 11, 2021, 02:05:57 PMI'd agree if they didn't remove the attach option from the quick reply.
AFAIK in SMF 2.0 the only way to access the attachment option when using Quick Reply was to Preview the message before posting it - SMF 2.1 works the same way.
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

Coyote Keith

Quote from: Diego Andrés on November 11, 2021, 02:10:25 PMIt never had an attachment option in the quick reply

Yes, I know. That's why I had it turned off. My point was, if they were going to remove the option to turn it off, I'd be OK with that if it had the attach option as part of it. I'm baffled by how many on my site are whining they can't attach and it's only because they are using the quick reply instead of the reply button.

I just commented out the code for it as suggested by @aleski

skb

Quote from: Coyote Keith on November 11, 2021, 02:05:57 PMI'd agree if they didn't remove the attach option from the quick reply.

If using the Quick Reply, you can click Preview and get full functionality.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

woolly bugger

it would be great if you could switch to the full editor after starting aa quick reply ...

TurtleKicker

Quote from: woolly bugger on November 12, 2021, 08:24:15 PMit would be great if you could switch to the full editor after starting aa quick reply ...

Click the [Preview] button.

woolly bugger

Quote from: TurtleKicker on November 12, 2021, 09:13:53 PM
Quote from: woolly bugger on November 12, 2021, 08:24:15 PMit would be great if you could switch to the full editor after starting aa quick reply ...

Click the [Preview] button.

been using SMF since YABB days and just learned this....

Karmasterrr

This should be fixed once and for all. Two ways to fix it:

1) Best (but hard?) way: add attachment option to quick reply

2) Wrong way: add back "disable quick reply" option to theme settings.

For those who instead recommend explaining to users to click "Preview" button - hack you! Users are lazy and stupid and don't read explanations and instructions!
Instead of uploading image to forum, they upload it to external services and post links. Those external images are constantly removed by external services, users create new topics with same questions and this goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on just because we have not fixed it in forum software.
And why in the hell there are two different forms for quick reply and full reply ? The more duplicated spaghetti code the better ?

Advertisement: