News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Delete quotations

Started by potti, November 17, 2021, 01:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

potti

First of all, my english is horrible.

Hello, everyone,

I recently took over a forum and database. Now it is the case that a user, I'll call him "User A", wants all his postings and quotes about him to disappear/erase. So those quotes that other users made when they quoted "User A". Now it is almost impossible for me to search every thread and every posting for quotes about "User A", especially since I have a fulltime job and have to do it all by myself. I don't have a team behind me because everything is still fresh. Is there a query for the database that you can write so that all quotations about "User A" can be deleted with one click? Otherwise I have to manually enter the postings, delete the quotation and after that there is an edit note which I would like to avoid.

Thanks for help.

Steve

I don't' have the answer but someone will come along soon and tell you if it's possible.

The first question that comes to mind is "Why does User A want those quotes deleted?" I can't think of any legitimate reason for an admin to do this.
DO NOT pm me for support!

potti

Steve

Deleting posts isn't the way to resolve it imo ... a warning from admin should do it and if not, banning for whatever period you want is an option.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: potti on November 17, 2021, 01:44:15 PMFirst of all, my english is horrible.

Hello, everyone,

I recently took over a forum and database. Now it is the case that a user, I'll call him "User A", wants all his postings and quotes about him to disappear/erase. So those quotes that other users made when they quoted "User A". Now it is almost impossible for me to search every thread and every posting for quotes about "User A", especially since I have a fulltime job and have to do it all by myself. I don't have a team behind me because everything is still fresh. Is there a query for the database that you can write so that all quotations about "User A" can be deleted with one click? Otherwise I have to manually enter the postings, delete the quotation and after that there is an edit note which I would like to avoid.

Thanks for help.

Do you want to delete the quotes of said user altogether or simply their name from the quotes?

Your english seems fine to me btw.

Kindred

the short answer is no. There is no easy way to do what you are asking.

As a matter of fact, it's annoying enough (and complicated enough) that we absolutely refuse to do it here.
Even with GDPR, they can't demand it, because a Forum is a conversation - deleting part(s) of a conversation will leave the rest of the content without context.

the only thing that can be done, if it's really important to YOU (I honestly don't care about the petty user) would be to use a database replace command to go through and change every reference of the user's name to some other string.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Shades.

What about adding User A's name to the word censor? So anywhere User A's name was showing in a topic it will now show as ***** or whatever. :o  8)
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

potti

Thanks for help. I have renamed her account and she is bannend. But that is not enough for her. The item is, many many users are in both forums. In mine and in her forum and I don't know who of all 1000 users are a spion of her.

So there are not many solutions for me and I have to delete these quotes manually.

Off topic:
"User A" was my girlfriend. Women after separation are very dangerous especially when men begin separation of partnership.

Steve

Quote from: potti on November 18, 2021, 09:40:18 AMWomen after separation are very dangerous especially when men begin separation of partnership.

Indeed. Women deserve respect and them feeling otherwise can make them very vindictive. The same could probably be said of men but women have very devious minds.

A woman scorned and all that ...  :P

Advertisement: