News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Logged out while writing post

Started by Drug Mile, November 25, 2021, 03:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drug Mile

SMF2.0.18, but this problem was common to any previous versions, and also different themes.

If I am writing a reply for too long, I am being logged out without noticing it. So, when my reply is done and I try to post it, I am redirected to login screen. After I login, my post is gone and I am now in the "start new topic" page.

Is this common behaviour of all SMF installations, or a bug I need to solve?

GL700Wing

If you nominate a login time of anything other than 'Forever' you will be logged out after the selected period of time has elapsed even if you are in the middle of typing something.

Annoying but you can avoid this by choosing a longer (or Forever) login period and/or by implementing a drafts system that auto saves posts that are being typed every so often (at least then if you get logged out unexpectedly a draft copy of a recent version your new post will have been saved) ...
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

Drug Mile

Drafts system will not, if I understand, save a copy automatically, user have to do it manually. If he didn't, his work is lost. It might be an hour or more of his work. Logout comes without notice, so sure, that must be annoying.

Kindred

It's not a bug.  It's the nature of a timed session.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: Drug Mile on November 29, 2021, 06:07:44 AMDrafts system will not, if I understand, save a copy automatically, user have to do it manually.

This is incorrect. By default the drafts system automatically saves a draft every 60 seconds. The admin can change the frequency or disable auto-saving entirely using the settings in Administration Center > Posts and Topics > Drafts.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Sir Osis of Liver

Um, there's a drafts feature in 2.0.18?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Sesquipedalian

Oops. I thought I was posting in the 2.1 support board. Never mind. :)
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Sir Osis of Liver

Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt. :P
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

sam666

Dave J

If you are using 'Drafts 1.1.2' then you can set drafts to save automatically with an adjustable time scale.

Go into Admin, Forum, Post and Topics, and you'll see the settings.
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Drug Mile

Quote from: Dave J on December 01, 2021, 10:49:11 AMIf you are using 'Drafts 1.1.2' then you can set drafts to save automatically with an adjustable time scale.

Using latest version that apears to be 2.2 and I don't have those settings in Admin CP. Should I downgrade to earlier version?

Back on topic, here is what still bothers me. If I come logged out from my forum and click to see who is online, I am first taken to login page (guests can not see who is online). After I login, I am redirected to "Who is online" page, right where I wanted to go.

When I want to make a post, after filling the form with long text, I am also taken to login page. After I login, my form is cleared, and instead of posting a reply (action=post;topic=xxx), I am on a "New post" page (action=post;board=xxx). I guess when session expires, some data can not be preserved, but please confirm me that this is expected behaviour.

I find this to be a problem of using forums in general. Other technologies don't have such limitation, user's work is better preserved. That is why I am looking for some workaround.

Kindred

Ah, that's very different from what you first said...

And, no, there is no really good way to "work around" that.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

shadav

there is this mod but I haven't noticed that it actually works
https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=3256
then again I don't tend to use the quickreply
and I'm not sure how it would handle being logged out

Kindred

Shadav,  that's not what the OP is talking about anymore
Слaва
Украинi

GL700Wing

Quote from: Dave J on December 01, 2021, 10:49:11 AMIf you are using 'Drafts 1.1.2' then you can set drafts to save automatically with an adjustable time scale.

@Dave J  - I think you're referring to a different 'Drafts' mod (ie, the one that was developed by Arantor but which is no longer available - https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=392598.0).
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

shadav

Quote from: Kindred on December 04, 2021, 03:24:13 PMShadav,  that's not what the OP is talking about anymore
supposedly that mod though saves the text, but it says if you crash or in between browsing pages on current topic, so it may work for logging in...not sure...

Dave J

Quote from: GL700Wing on December 04, 2021, 04:59:00 PM

@Dave J  - I think you're referring to a different 'Drafts' mod (ie, the one that was developed by Arantor but which is no longer available - https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=392598.0).

Yes you're right. I have the old version installed on my test site, which is still viable as it's only just been started from scratch again, but on the live site I have 2.2 installed. The 1.1.2 version needs to be installed emulating 2.0.1.

If anyone wants the old version let me know.
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Illori

Quote from: Dave J on December 05, 2021, 12:36:50 AMIf anyone wants the old version let me know.

unless it has a valid license that allows you to redistribute it you are not allowed to provide the mod to anyone.

Dave J

Quote from: Illori on December 05, 2021, 05:49:44 AM
Quote from: Dave J on December 05, 2021, 12:36:50 AMIf anyone wants the old version let me know.

unless it has a valid license that allows you to redistribute it you are not allowed to provide the mod to anyone.

Good point

Steve

To get back to the OP's question ... Drug Mile, where are we on this?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: