News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Confused about Permissions and Groups

Started by AndalayBay, November 27, 2021, 07:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndalayBay

I am migrating from IPS (IP Board) to SMF 2.1 and I'm not sure whether to use permission sets or member groups. On IPS, we used groups to define the permissions.

It might help to explain our forum. We host game mod projects. These are teams that develop mods for games. Since they may not want to share their work, some of their forums (boards) will only be accessible to team members. They aren't viewable to anyone but team members. On IPS, we use groups for that. People might be members of more than one group because they would often help multiple teams. The projects do have some public forums where they would post updates about their progress or ask for help. The forums usually have some common areas too. Guests would be allowed to view posts, but aren't allowed to download attachments or reply to threads. People can join the forums to post in the common areas, but they won't see the private forums unless they join a team, which they have to do by request and the team lead would ask an admin to add them to the group.

Can someone offer any guidance on how I should set this up? I don't think I need any post count based groups.

shadav

smf works the same way with membergroups

admin > members > membergroups

then in admin > forum > boards
create or modify boards
Allowed Groups:
Groups allowed to access this board.
Note: if the member is in any group or post group checked, they will have access to this board.

make sure to only checkmark the groups you want to see that board

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Membergroups
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Permissions
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Boards

AndalayBay

Thanks shadav, but I read all that before I posted. I think it would be helpful if there were examples rather than just a description of all the options, especially since I don't know what most of them mean. The documentation is geared towards people who know what's going on and just need a reminder about something. I'm finding the admin section very hard to navigate.

I still don't understand what permission sets would be used for.

For our forums, regular members would be able to access all the public boards. There would be a few boards in each project that would only be accessible to team members. So do I have to add everybody to regular members and then have project members also in second or third team groups? On IPS, they only needed to be in the team group and we gave that group access to the public boards as well.

I want to set the permissions for regular members but that group doesn't even show up in many settings.

Kindred

Permission sets, or board profiles, still use member groups.... they just apply specific permissions to a board (or set of boards). The basic membergroups still provide the permissions for the forum as a whole.

Not sure what you mean about regular members not showing up though.  The general member group allows permissions to be set in both core permissions and board profile permissions
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

AndalayBay

Like I said, I'm pretty confused. ;D

If I delete the post count based groups, will all new members be put in regular members? I think I read that I have to have at least one post count based group, so how do I get new members into regular members?

Thanks for the help guys.

Loki is awesome. Just saying.

shadav

ok so by default every member is a member of the Regular Members group and then a post count group, if you turn off the post count group they still are technically members of the Newbie group (as you can't delete this group)
then you can add members to secondary and more membergroups as you see fit to give them more permissions
so for instance

you would set up a new membergroup named Team
you have a board named Staff Chat, so you would then in your board settings for Staff Chat
under
Allowed Groups:
Groups allowed to access this board.
Note: if the member is in any group or post group checked, they will have access to this board.
you would only checkmark the membergroup Team
so that only members in the membergroup Team would be able to see and access the board Staff Chat

Illori

Quote from: AndalayBay on November 27, 2021, 10:34:15 PMLike I said, I'm pretty confused. ;D

If I delete the post count based groups, will all new members be put in regular members? I think I read that I have to have at least one post count based group, so how do I get new members into regular members?

Thanks for the help guys.

Loki is awesome. Just saying.

also keep in mind you should NEVER delete the 0 post count group, bad things would happen if you manage to do this.

AndalayBay

Ok, thanks guys. I think I'm going to have to play with it a bit more.

Advertisement: