Re: SimplePortal and other questions

Started by Dr Web, November 29, 2021, 12:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Web

I installed this Mod, and created a Menu button called Articles, but I can't see the button. Do I need to post articles first?

I don't know if this Mod does what I want.

I want to disable the portal for now while the forum is still new.

I only want to have an Articles menu button, and, when someone clicks the button he sees a list with a few articles and some box or side menu with links for more articles.

Each article neeeds to have its own page.

Finally only I can post articles.

Is this possible with this Mod?

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction ;D

Diego Andrés

Might not work like that if you didn't find a setting for it.
Did you try the articles mod?

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

@rjen

Quote from: Dr Web on November 29, 2021, 12:48:08 PMI installed this Mod, and created a Menu button called Articles, but I can't see the button. Do I need to post articles first?

I don't know if this Mod does what I want.

I want to disable the portal for now while the forum is still new.

I only want to have an Articles menu button, and, when someone clicks the button he sees a list with a few articles and some box or side menu with links for more articles.

Each article neeeds to have its own page.

Finally only I can post articles.

Is this possible with this Mod?

I know that this is possible with TinyPortal. Not sure about Simpleportal...
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Dr Web

Quote from: Diego Andrés on November 29, 2021, 01:03:00 PMMight not work like that if you didn't find a setting for it.
Did you try the articles mod?

I don't want to install that Mod. That's why I am searching for an alternative.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction ;D

Dr Web

Quote from: @rjen on November 29, 2021, 01:51:54 PMI know that this is possible with TinyPortal. Not sure about Simpleportal...

Could you please explain how, if you know how to do it?

I just installed Tiny Portal, but I also can't see how to do with it what I want. 

shadav

Quote from: Dr Web on November 29, 2021, 03:26:22 PM
Quote from: @rjen on November 29, 2021, 01:51:54 PMI know that this is possible with TinyPortal. Not sure about Simpleportal...

Could you please explain how, if you know how to do it?

I just installed Tiny Portal, but I also can't see how to do with it what I want. 

for tinyportal questions please ask in it's support thread here: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=27642.0

to answer your question about adding to the menu links, you can see my post here in tinyportal support thread how I did it: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?msg=4103152
which I would assume you should be able to do basically the same thing here with simpleportal if you decide to stick with simpleportal instead of tinyportal (you can't really use both at the same time, I would think that would cause some issues)

Dr Web

I want to use only the one that allows me to do what I want. The problem is that both of them install a portal where I have the forum, and move the forum to a directory, and I don't want that. I want to hold the forum on my domain at https://www.mydomain.com

shadav

I have no clue about this one, simpleportal, i've never used it but there should be a setting in it's settings to go to forum instead of frontpage or whatever they call it
in tinyportal under its settings go frontpage change the setting to Go directly to forum index
somewhere in the simpleportal settings should be basically the same setting, but again I wouldn't know where as I don't use this one but I'm sure someone in here will help guide you where to go

Dr Web

I did that. I checked "Redirect to forum", and nothing happened.

Kindred

Conversation had moved way beyond simpleportal support. Split and moved.

Dr Web, your attitude is not encouraging others to help you.

Neither of the portal mods actuslly move the forum into another directory, AFAIK. They might LOOK like it from the url, however, if you disable the portal/homepage portion (which is a setting), then it will not do that.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: