News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

When trying to install, Apache server crashed. IDK what to do now.

Started by spunky, December 01, 2021, 08:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spunky

When I tried to install SMF 2.1RC4, on step 3 "database settings", when I click the "continue" button, it crashes the Apache server.  I'm running the website on my home computer with Windows 7 (localhost).  I have Apache 2.2.31, MySQL 5.6.34, PHP 7.1.5.  Apache is using port 80, and MySQL is using port 3306.  I also tried the Nginx 1.13.1 server, which didn't crash but the website froze.

A message window pops up and here's the error message below:

Apache HTTP Server has stopped working
Windows can check online for a solution to the problem the next time you go online.

Problem details:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   httpd.exe
  Application Version:   2.2.31.0
  Application Timestamp:   572c53e1
  Fault Module Name:   php7ts.dll
  Fault Module Version:   7.1.5.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   591eb3bd
  Exception Code:   c00000fd
  Exception Offset:   0019d322
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   8071
  Additional Information 2:   8071416e5d87c4c504a8f2599b712eb9
  Additional Information 3:   d072
  Additional Information 4:   d072a73a32a83f994a847b3383c2d222

Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Kindred

check with your host. There is nothing in SMF that should be causing that.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Shambles

Quotecheck with your host.

could be tricky...

Quote from: spunkyI'm running the website on my home computer ... (localhost)

Ensure you have installed the correct PHP binaries. There is a choice between "Thread Safe" and "Non Thread Safe" for both x86 and x64.

Additionally, you need to get your Apache-specific PHP binaries from https://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=6359

Kindred

whoops, I missed that. lol

but seriously, I can't think of anything in SMF that would cause apache to crash.

Can you run something else on the server, like wordpress?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Shambles

QuoteException Code:   c00000fd

A few drill-down Googles show this may be caused by a memory limit set in your php.ini file. You may have to play with the "memory_limit = 128M ;" setting (or insert it if it's not in there).

spunky

OP:

Yes, I can run other websites, including SMF 2.018.  Why does 2.018 install, but 2.1RC4 won't?

I used "MAMP" (for Windows) to install my localhost stuff.

I'll look into the 'memory limit' idea.

Thanks everyone.  I'm sad now :( , I was hoping to be able to try out this new version.

live627

Quote from: spunky on December 01, 2021, 08:19:44 PMException Code:   c00000fd
This appears to be some sort of stack overflow/exhaustion error. Tricky to debug even with experience in C.

Changing PHP's memory_limit directive probably won't help you here.

Your best bet here may be to reinstall your webserver stack.

You mention that other sites work fine. Do they connect to a database, like a WordPress install? The sequence of events that you allude to tells me that the crash seems to have occurred during some database operation.

spunky

OP:

My php.ini file already has "memory_limit = 128M".

Here's some new info; in the Apache error log it says:
"
[error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/WWW/smf/docs-assets, referer: http://localhost/MAMP/ [nofollow]
[error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/WWW/smf/favicon.ico, referer: http://localhost/install.php [nofollow]
"

(FYI, this forum changed "http" to "hxxp" and inserted the "[nonactive]" text.)

What does that mean???

Thanks!

spunky

Quote from: live627 on December 03, 2021, 07:19:52 PM
Quote from: spunky on December 01, 2021, 08:19:44 PMException Code:   c00000fd
This appears to be some sort of stack overflow/exhaustion error. Tricky to debug even with experience in C.

Changing PHP's memory_limit directive probably won't help you here.

Your best bet here may be to reinstall your webserver stack.

You mention that other sites work fine. Do they connect to a database, like a WordPress install? The sequence of events that you allude to tells me that the crash seems to have occurred during some database operation.

Yes, one other site connects to a MySQL database.  And SMF 2.018 also works.

My previous post makes me wonder... is there some part of the install code that is looking for a nonexistent file?  Maybe this is a bug that doesn't happen for most people, but happened for me?
(C:/WWW/smf/favicon.ico, referer: http:localhost/install.php)

SpacePhoenix

If you crank PHP's error reporting up to maximum and then clear your PHP error log. When you try again, what errors are listed in the error log?

spunky

Quote from: SpacePhoenix on December 04, 2021, 09:08:06 PMIf you crank PHP's error reporting up to maximum and then clear your PHP error log. When you try again, what errors are listed in the error log?

How do I set the PHP error reporting to maximum?

spunky

Well, I can't use this forum platform then.  And the 2.018 version has tons of issues & broken things, one of which is when I create a new post it errors "the message body was left empty" even though the message body was not empty.  It even did this for the admin.  Oh well.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Everything I've seen here points to issues on the hosting setup, not in SMF itself.
(For example, that non-existing .ico file is actually included in the install package so it definitely should not be non-existing.)
I've run both 2.x versions on multiple different setups, and "tons of issues & broken things" don't fit my view of either.
If you are not familiar with setting up the required environment, don't do it and get yourself a proper host.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

AndalayBay

We're using XAMPP for Windows, version 7.4.25 and have had no problems. That's PHP 7.4.25, Apache 2.4.51 and MariaDB. If you would prefer to use MySQL, you can install it separately and then switch XAMPP to use it relatively easily. That way you could run MySQL 5.7 or even MySQL 8, which is a huge improvement.

I suspect you're running into issues with the older versioning of some of the components.

I also used Bitnami to install Wordpress.

Just a thought if you'd like to give this a go. One caution though, don't use backslash \ in your root password for the database. SMF 2.1 doesn't like it. SMF 2.0.18 is fine. I did complain about that and don't know if the devs have found a fix.

live627

Quote from: spunky on December 31, 2021, 01:14:03 AMWell, I can't use this forum platform then.  And the 2.018 version has tons of issues & broken things, one of which is when I create a new post it errors "the message body was left empty" even though the message body was not empty.  It even did this for the admin.  Oh well.
Perhaps PHP needs reinstalled then.

Arantor

I think part of the problem is that there's a mismatch between threadsafe and nonthreadsafe binaries in the mix but running it on an OS that is only in extended support is possibly not the best way to go either...

Advertisement: