New registrants will not receive a confirmation email.

Started by Ruprt, December 08, 2021, 07:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruprt

Please advise. When new members sign up. No confirmation email will be sent to them. Is something wrong with my settings? Thank you for your reply.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

There's a setting in your admin panel that says "Send welcome email to new members". Make sure it's checked.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Ruprt

Yes, I have it marked.
After registration it says: Thank you for registering. You will receive an email soon with a link to activate your account. If you don't receive an email after some time, check your spam folder.
Email not coming and not in spam.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Okay, are other emails sent from the forum working?
Have you tested different (recipient) providers?
It could be it is getting filtered for some reason, and editing the message itself could be a solution,
if emails in general are confirmed working.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Ruprt

Yes, I tested different recipients. Could it be that my specified email is a protonmail?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Most commonly, your safest bet is to use a sender address that matches your forum's domain. Some hosts will even block outgoing mail that uses different sender info. Are you using PHP or SMTP to send mail?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Ruprt

SMTP. Thank you. I've tried everything, but it's not working. Never mind.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Just looked that up, and I don't think Protonmail does SMTP out of the box - If I understood correctly you would need a separate tool called ProtonMail Bridge to do that. And a paid account for that to work.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Ruprt

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No, not as such - I believe it can be fixed for gmail though, but Gmail has some pretty specific requirements for SMTP.
Like I mentioned, usually your best bet is to use your own domain.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Ruprt

QuoteGmail has some pretty specific requirements for SMTP
Where and how to set it up please?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You may have luck following these,  no promises here though (Especially since these topics are discussing 2.0)
[TIP GUIDE] Setting up a gmail account on SMF
Anybody having recent issues with gmail?
BUT - This may mean you are out of luck if using GSuite (instead of a personal gmail account) https://9to5google.com/2019/12/17/g-suite-less-secure-apps/
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

pulgoki

I don't want to hijack the thread here, but I've been having an issue with the 'lost my password' function sending out a reset password email.

I haven't been able to figure out whether it is my host or the forum.

I planned on changing the email settings to use a different smtp server for the time being to see if that makes a difference.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I think, though I'm not 100% sure on this, that some email providers have been known to filter those messages for some reason - changing the wording of the messages might resolve that if this is what is happening here.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

pulgoki

I just tried setting up and sending through gmail.  I don't seem to be getting anywhere that way either.

Can you give me a clue where to change the wording of the message? I'd like to give that a shot.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It's going to be in your language files, but sadly I can't remember which exactly - Some emails are in EmailTemplates.english.php, but then again not all emails as some are scattered in other files dealing with what ever situation the email pertains to.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

pulgoki

Looks like it's in Themes/default/languages/EmailTemplates.english.php

I had an old 'lost my password' email laying around so I had some text to search for.  :)

Thanks!

Ruprt

Hi,
I got paid hosting with cPanel. I created a board. No emails are coming from the board. And when a user writes me an email from the board, it doesn't come either. Provider sent me some pop, smtp settings. I don't know where to set it. If in cPanel or somewhere in the board settings. Can you please help? Thank you very much in advance.
When the user registers, he doesn't get any email.

Dzonny

You should firstly create email account in cPanel, mail account option. Then use that info with the info with the info that provider sent you and fill the info in your forums admin panel - Maintenance - Mail - Settings

Ruprt

Yes, I did. I created an account in cPanel. the same email I used on the board. In the email settings on the board, this is what is this and I don't know what to do.

https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME5L8VC

Advertisement: