News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

regular member upgraded to moderator?

Started by rcane, December 07, 2021, 04:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcane

Hello all,

If I have a regular member with no moderator priv's whatsoever, what abilities will they have if named as a moderator on a particular board?

The manual talks about naming people but it doesn't say much about the privileges associated/inherited.

Illori

you can set the permissions for the local moderator group yourself.

rcane

Quote from: Illori on December 07, 2021, 05:13:41 PMyou can set the permissions for the local moderator group yourself.

is that it's own membergroup?

I now how to set permissions per group.  I'm trying to understand if a person needs their membergroup changed if they are ever going to moderate any board. 

But for this one instance, this one board, this user should have nothing else permitted.

Kindred

There is a moderator membergroup.
It is a special group

Users ONLY have the permissions of that group while they are IN the board(s) that they have been named moderator of.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

rcane

Quote from: Kindred on December 07, 2021, 06:29:10 PMThere is a moderator membergroup.
It is a special group

Users ONLY have the permissions of that group while they are IN the board(s) that they have been named moderator of.

thank you.  Not sure why the documentation wasn't as clear as that. :)

Steve

Marking solved then.

In addition, there is a nifty mod called Switch Permissions that will allow you to see the forum as whatever member you wish. Don't know if it works on 2.0.18 though ... https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=2703
DO NOT pm me for support!

rcane

Quote from: Steve on December 08, 2021, 05:45:25 AMMarking solved then.

In addition, there is a nifty mod called Switch Permissions that will allow you to see the forum as whatever member you wish. Don't know if it works on 2.0.18 though ... https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=2703

That's nice.  I have just been using a spare account I made for testing purposes.

rcane

Quote from: Kindred on December 07, 2021, 06:29:10 PMThere is a moderator membergroup.
It is a special group

Well, I have a member group called "front porch" (folks not all the way inside yet ;))

They are blocked from seeing a particular entire Category.

When I made that test account a moderator they could see the otherwise blocked Category. 

But, "moderator" shows in >permissions, but I do not see "moderator" when I'm setting which groups can see the boards. 

rcane

Quote from: rcane on December 08, 2021, 02:18:48 PM
It is a special group

Well, I have a member group called "front porch" (folks not all the way inside yet ;))

They are blocked from seeing a particular entire Category.

When I made that test account a moderator they could see the otherwise blocked Category. 

But, "moderator" shows in >permissions, but I do not see "moderator" when I'm setting which groups can see the boards. 

nahh, never mind.  I had a problem with some inherits and board viewerships.  SMF worked as advertised--operator error.

efk

To better understand what are Moderator-s or better local moderators, take a look at these boards and compare to other around the forum: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=4.0
Board with local moderator will be displayed like this, you grant moderator privileges in Admin/Forum/Boards.../Moderators: (Additional members to have moderation privileges on this board. Note that administrators don't have to be listed here.). So this Membergroup under Membergroups is actually not a membergroup but an option to define user with desired privileges where he can have all granted permissions to do what is usually expected in that board. Also you are not limited on this, if you want to have a little bit different permissions for local moderator, you can use Permission profiles and with more Permission profiles your forum will become more complicated if you are not managing your forum as expected, but if you do, or if you learn and understand how to manage it, it can be a lot of fun with it.

rcane

Quote from: efk on December 08, 2021, 04:58:49 PMTo better understand what are Moderator-s or better local moderators, take a look at these boards and compare to other around the forum: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=4.0
Board with local moderator will be displayed like this, you grant moderator privileges in Admin/Forum/Boards.../Moderators: (Additional members to have moderation privileges on this board. Note that administrators don't have to be listed here.). So this Membergroup under Membergroups is actually not a membergroup but an option to define user with desired privileges where he can have all granted permissions to do what is usually expected in that board. Also you are not limited on this, if you want to have a little bit different permissions for local moderator, you can use Permission profiles and with more Permission profiles your forum will become more complicated if you are not managing your forum as expected, but if you do, or if you learn and understand how to manage it, it can be a lot of fun with it.

good mornin', yes thank you for that.

I've got several different levels of moderators for different aspects of the organization.  I have actual memberGroups created for them to handle such tasks.

In this particular case, I had some private boards some members needed for a side-project.  They're regular priv'd members by the way.  Just wanted to get them some "oomph" in that particular room.

I think I had some cross-mojonation between other groups privileges that messed me up.  But, it's a tricky subject.

I'll get on that link to read.

efk

You just need to test changes with testing account, and the best option is to have someone to help you with testing, when you do some changes. Just testing and testing and no problemos  :D
Also see my older posts, you might find more info that can help you to understand what you are doing.

a10

Admin > Reports, for certain situations, looking around in there can be very enlightening :O)
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

rcane

Quote from: a10 on December 09, 2021, 12:15:58 PMAdmin > Reports, for certain situations, looking around in there can be very enlightening :O)

That, is quite an overview.

efk

Quote from: a10 on December 09, 2021, 12:15:58 PMAdmin > Reports, for certain situations, looking around in there can be very enlightening :O)
Is that for 2.1?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The specific path to them can differ a bit, but reports are available in both 2.0 and 2.1.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

a10

Reports, SMF's hidden treasure room. Few venture there, those who do are rewarded :)
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Advertisement: