updating a theme for the first time.

Started by rcane, December 10, 2021, 11:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcane

If a theme is updated (mine has an update for 2.0.18), besides backing up everything, are there losses in settings, custom menu items and mods that are in jeopardy?

Kindred

possibly....  it depends on what mods you have installed and what files the custom theme has defined

(in other words, any mods which have adjusted code in a custom theme would have to be reapplied - manually - to that theme's template files ---   or, be uninstalled and reinstalled after the theme us updated (same holds true for adding a custom theme AFTER mods are installed)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

Question answered satisfactorily rcane?  :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

rcane

Quote from: Steve on December 11, 2021, 07:23:23 AMQuestion answered satisfactorily rcane?  :)

For now?  Yes.  I'm just trying to mark down the changes I've made (like not allowing guests to see the news items).  Don't want to open things back up the moment I upgrade.

One last question:

When I check the Themes installed, next to Ant's it says 2.0.14.   Would it be correct to say that was the last SMF it was written for?  Because, the latest version of Ants is 1.0.7.

I'll mark solved if you can pen a wee bit on that last question.

Kindred

Well, yes and no.

Many files are not updates from release to release. Those files remain at the version which they were last updated in.

So, the 2.0 14 means that the files in the theme package were built off tge 2.0.14 set...   but that doesn't mean there needs to be changes,  unless one of those files was updated between .14 and .18
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

rcane

Ok. 

My concern was, I'm close to 2000 members now (i backup daily), I didn't want to update Ant's to 1.0.7 unless I needed--fearing I'd screw something up.

That iOS sub-menu thing is my only concern right now.

I've never updated a theme before, and aside from a few mods I've not changed much:

Dave J

If you haven't got it already download a copy of Notepad++. You can then open both the old and new template files and then use the compare function to see what changes have been made between the old and new before you commit to installing the new version.
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

rcane

Quote from: Dave J on December 12, 2021, 02:54:23 AMIf you haven't got it already download a copy of Notepad++. You can then open both the old and new template files and then use the compare function to see what changes have been made between the old and new before you commit to installing the new version.

Notepad++?  Ok, I'll take a look.

But, the real question then becomes, how many template files are to be checked?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That depends on the theme, but usually themes don't pack very many template files. I'd guess most themes up on our theme site have one to three template files included. When a theme doesn't include a certain template file, then the one in  /Themes/Default is used.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

shadav

when it comes to ant though, don't forget to check the css files for differences ;)

Advertisement: