News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Forum very slow - where to start from?

Started by juanmeitor, December 14, 2021, 03:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juanmeitor

Hi all,

My forum is manualens . com/foro

It's been running for years now. The last years without any kind of maintenance.

It has become really slow, with typical page load times of 15 seconds average. Guest access is open, so it's easy to check.

Its SMF 2.0.15. Patches have been applied version by version from 2.0 to current version.

It has a few mods and SimplePortal 2.3.3

PHP version is 5.6.40
MySQL 5.6.41-84.1

The DB is only 142MB and traffic is not heavy at all.

It is located on a shared server (A Small Orange). The support teams says the server is ok. I think so, as I see that when I navigate Administration section of the forum it goes fast, but when I navigate through topics and messages, it all goes really slow (1 vs 15 seconds to load).

I have searched the SMF documentation and internet posts, but the settings I have changed (performance enhancements) didn't make any change.

I have performed all the maintenance and repair tasks at Administration. Everything looks ok, but the load times aren't.

What can I do? I think it's DB related, but I don't have to knowledge to sort it out.

Can you help, please?

Thank you in advance.

Shambles

Hi

Here's what I've observed.

Topics that have few posts containing links, open faster than those with many links or images.

As an experiment, try disabling hostname lookups:

Admin >> Configuration >> Server Settings >> General .. Disable Hostname Lookups

QuoteThis disables host name lookups, which on some servers are very slow. Note that this will make banning less effective.

juanmeitor

Hi Shambles,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Unfortunately Hostname lookups are already disabled.

shadav

nothing to do with speed but  :P you should update your forum to 2.0.18 and your php to 7.4 as ph 5.x has been end of life and even php 7.2 is now outdated

you could also try signing up for a free account at cloudflare and see if that doesn't help some

looking at your site I notice an error

GET http://manualens.com/foro/mobiquo/smartbanner/appbanner.js net::ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT
GET http://manualens.com/foro/mobiquo/tapatalkdetect.js net::ERR_ABORTED 404 (Not Found)

seems you either tried to install or uninstall the tapatalk mod at some point and it didn't fully install/uninstall so that could be part of the issue

juanmeitor

Quote from: shadav on December 14, 2021, 04:10:40 PMnothing to do with speed but  :P you should update your forum to 2.0.18 and your php to 7.4 as ph 5.x has been end of life and even php 7.2 is now outdated

you could also try signing up for a free account at cloudflare and see if that doesn't help some

looking at your site I notice an error

GET http://manualens.com/foro/mobiquo/smartbanner/appbanner.js net::ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT
GET http://manualens.com/foro/mobiquo/tapatalkdetect.js net::ERR_ABORTED 404 (Not Found)

seems you either tried to install or uninstall the tapatalk mod at some point and it didn't fully install/uninstall so that could be part of the issue

Hi shadav.

I stopped the SMF update at 2.0.15 because the 2.0.16 patch reported a bunch of errors at the test prior to the real update. I thought I could leave the forum in an even worse state, so I didn't dare to continue and apply the 2.0.16 patch.

I have updated PHP to version 7.4.26. Thanks!

Regarding Tapatalk, curiously now it's the only way to navigate at an acceptable speed through the forum. It's not slow as the normal web version. I'll have a look at it as well.

shawnb61

2.0.15 will not run 7.4.  2.0.15 will only run php versions from 5.4 - 7.1.
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Requirements_and_recommendations

I would check all error logs, including SMF, apache, & DB error logs.  Scour your cpanel for error lists.

I would also check for aggressive crawlers.  Download your access logs & look to see if there is an unusual amount of activity from certain IPs.

Scour your access logs for clues / errors. 

I find it helpful to take a few hours of the access logs & load them into Excel (space delimiter) and analyze activity by IP.  If you have a crazy active IP, you may need to block them until you understand what is going on.  See if that fixes it.

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

juanmeitor

Quote from: SpacePhoenix on December 15, 2021, 02:27:44 AMMight be worth checking the MySQL slow query log: hxxp:dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/slow-query-log.html [nonactive]

Hi SpacePhoenix.

I looked at this link. It suggests using the command "mysqldumpslow" to check. I don't know where to issue this command. I tried on the SQL section of phpMyAdmin, but it's not recognized.

Sorry for beeing such a newbie on this, but I need a more detailed explanation.  :-[

Thanks!

Advertisement: