VB3 to SMF, in 2023?! Grateful for a bit of help and moral support!

Started by MartyHunter, June 14, 2023, 03:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyHunter

Hi all. A very close friend of mine has run a forum for decades. He's old now but doens't want the forum to die just yet so I am hoping to help him. He pays out of pocket to run the forum (no monetisation) so he's not keen on my first idea of paying for Xenforo (only suggested as I heard they do manual imports). But it's pricey, and then I found SMF so I am wondering if it's possible (for me!) to convert his VB3.8.5 forum to SMF?

If so, how much tech stuff is involved? I have moved and built websites and forums, but I am NO developer. I have reluctantly dived into database files once, to fix an issue he had with the site a few years back. After a WEEK of looking through code (I barely could make sense of), I did eventually find the culprit, but I really don't want to be going through that again!

So... can a VB 3.8.5 forum be converted to SMF with relative ease?

Grateful for any thoughts. Thanks

Diego Andrés

You could setup a backup locally and test the converter for 3.7 and see if you have any issues with it.
You could also attempt to upgrade your current forum to v4.0 > convert to SMF 2.0.19 > upgrade to SMF 2.1.

Of course, make sure you backup your files and database.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Sudhakar Arjunan

Hi MartyHunter,

When I learnt using internet first I used phbb then after 2-3 years I have moved to smf as its too user friendly and been using it for 17 years now if am correct since 2005 I remember.

Had thought where I could move to VB as they handle large forums also xenforo once in 2012 by taking a paid version. But as you greatly said there converts are different and mostly happens manually.

So I have sticked to smf for 17 years now and highly recommended for large forums like mine.
229,317 Posts in 180,923 Topics by 42,033 Members
Online: 511 Guests, 1 User (0 Buddies, 1 Spider)  - Most Online Today: 521 -  Most Online Ever: 3,621 (17 March 2012)

As @Diego Andrés rightly said, please try a local copy of smf latest version here - https://download.simplemachines.org
Also try converters ( https://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?converters ) from vb to smf. Get community support on forum for any hiccups.

Feel happy okie, do try smf on live forum and be a golden member to support smf community.
Working on New Mods & Themes for SMF... Will update soon... My Blog page
My Smf forum : Discuss ITAcumens :: My SMF Forum

MartyHunter

Quote from: Diego Andrés on June 14, 2023, 03:56:03 PMYou could setup a backup locally and test the converter for 3.7 and see if you have any issues with it.
You could also attempt to upgrade your current forum to v4.0 > convert to SMF 2.0.19 > upgrade to SMF 2.1.

Of course, make sure you backup your files and database.

Thanks for replying. I don't think he can upgrade beyond VB3 without paying and he won't give them any more money!

MartyHunter

Bit confused by the suggestion to take a backup locally and try something.
I have a new hosting account I just ordered today, with the intention of moving the VB3 forum to it so i have a duplicate to test on, but then I realised how complex it is to move mysql databases and make them work! If anyone knows of any guides on how to move a VB3 forum to new hosting, that would help me a lot at this point as I could create a clone on a test server, and then try the SMF converter.

As a side question... Let's say I magically somehow manage to create a clone of the VB forum, then use SMF converter. How would I actually "test" that it worked or not? What would I do to prove it worked, just compare threads and stuff, see if anything missing, or is there a specific way to test functionality?

P.S. I just noticed there is a converter for VB 3.7 and 4.0, but not for 3.8. Anyone know which one is tested and working for 3.8 (if either are?)

Thanks

MartyHunter

Really grateful for an answer here, not sure which converter to use. I am running VBulletin 3.8.5. Should I go with Vbulletin3 converter, or 3.7?

Advertisement: