News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Restricted memberGroup cannot see attachments, although checked off to do so

Started by rcane, January 19, 2022, 02:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcane

I have a group of folks that have only 1 of the 2 categories they can see.

there is a topic in there with some attached files to click as instructions.

I just noticed they aren't visible to that group (used chrome, safari, Firefox to test) even though in  permissions I have "view attachments" selected.

Any thoughts?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Open the member's profile, and check Profile -> Profile Info -> Show Permissions.
In the "Board specific permissions for" section, select the board in question (if it's an option) and check what View attachments says - If there's no View attachments or if the board is not an option, select "All boards" and check there.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

rcane

there aren't any permissions when individual boards are selected.  But, when all boards are selected it does show 'view attachments' down there.

the memberGroup in question can see attachements post and such (limited things); however, they can only do it in one category (that doesn't have the more sensitive topics).

rcane

I changed my test account over and I cannot see them as well. feeling pretty foolish right now. :)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Alright, if "All boards" shows the permission, but selecting the specific board does not - then that board is apparently using it's own permission profile which does not give the permission to view attachments for their membergroup.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

rcane

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 19, 2022, 02:36:56 PMAlright, if "All boards" shows the permission, but selecting the specific board does not - then that board is apparently using it's own permission profile which does not give the permission to view attachments for their membergroup.

I'm not sure I follow.  I've never created board-specific permissions.  I've used the defaults and just created memberGroups to tighten things.  Sounds like that wasn't the best move.

The memberGroup in question should be able to view/participate like anyone--they're just restricted to a certain number of boards.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I may be wrong too, just trying to figure things out without seeing your setup and that can be a bit tricky sometimes, but either board permission profiles or something simply wrong with your membergroup permissions because it's apparent the group doesn't actually have that permission on that board.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

rcane

fwiw, I changed the board permission from read-only to default.  that opened up attachements to be seen, but I'm not sure why.  is it because the attachments are something you must "click" and not just viewed?

the online manual doesn't have a good description of read-only versus default.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

So it is the board permission profile, and the issue is that the "read only" profile doesn't allow attachments for the group in question.
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/All_about_permission_profiles
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

rcane

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 19, 2022, 02:58:36 PMSo it is the board permission profile, and the issue is that the "read only" profile doesn't allow attachments for the group in question.
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/All_about_permission_profiles

Where can I find a good breakdown of "read only"? it's not on that page referenced.

I ask because I thought it was a good way to block anyone from posting in those boards.   But i think it means something else.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You can view the settings of the profile, by clicking on the profile name - but you can't edit the permissions in any of the included default profiles. For that you would need to create a copy first.  See the link in my post above :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: