News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Notification of old topic movement

Started by FragaCampos, January 30, 2022, 05:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FragaCampos

Hi there.

Is there a way for a forum's user to receive a notification when an old topic is moved from board A to board B?
For example: if I move one topic from 2 years ago from one section to another, how will users know that the latter section received a new topic?

Diego Andrés

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Arantor

Well, if they already read the old topic, surely it's not a new topic for them to read?

A topic can be created to tell people it has been moved, but I'm not sure of the use-case where a topic that a user has already read needs to be re-notified as new.

FragaCampos

I know and use that mod (and it still works great!), but that doesn't solve this issue, because it leaves a notification in the origin board, not on the target board.
I was wondering: if an old topic is moved to a new board, the users who have that board under observation receive a notification? (I think notifications only happen with new topics, but...)

Quote from: Diego Andrés on January 30, 2022, 05:47:25 PMThis is the only mod I remember
https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=708

Might still work

Arantor, my forum is divided in English and Portuguese boards.
When an English topic is moved to a Portuguese board, some users think it's important to consider that topic as a "new one" since they can't read English.
If I move that topic, they want to know that it is brought to their attention somehow.

Quote from: Arantor on January 30, 2022, 05:48:17 PMWell, if they already read the old topic, surely it's not a new topic for them to read?

A topic can be created to tell people it has been moved, but I'm not sure of the use-case where a topic that a user has already read needs to be re-notified as new.

Arantor

If the topic is moved and hasn't been read already, it'll show up in unread topics as normal, so they'll see it if they're using unread topics. If they're not using unread topics, why not? (Because there are other edge cases to consider here.)

Creating a notification of "topic moved here" just means you get two topics in the same board that both end up in the unread list.

If the issue is that people are marking the English board read regularly so then topic moves don't show up, the solution is to show people how to use the ignore boards feature to discount the English board if they don't speak English.

If there's some other use case here, I'm not seeing it...

Advertisement: