[Preview] Alien_Shades

Started by Shades., January 26, 2022, 03:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shades.

Nothing much just dark & greeny!

Not sure if this would be aloud on the smf theme site or not because it's just mainly color changes and a little css changing but if not I will have it up for download on my site when finished along with a few other colorful themes as I get time to create them. ;)

Thanks 8)
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

TwitchisMental

#1
Quote from: Shades. on January 26, 2022, 03:06:09 PMNothing much just dark & greeny!

Not sure if this would be aloud on the smf theme site or not because it's just mainly color changes and a little css changing but if not I will have it up for download on my site when finished along with a few other colorful themes as I get time to create them. ;)

Thanks 8)
Looking good so far. One suggestion if I may, I would adjust that text-shadow color on the navigation section/breadcrumb area text.

Shambles

I think it looks fantastic. Green on black is what I've used for the past 45 years in IT ;)

Shades.

Quote from: TwitchisMental on January 26, 2022, 05:19:23 PMLooking good so far. One suggestion if I may, I would adjust that text-shadow color on the navigation section/breadcrumb area text.
Thanks! Suggestions are welcome and appreciated! Do you mean like the one you shared here?

Quote from: Shambles on January 26, 2022, 05:53:53 PMI think it looks fantastic. Green on black is what I've used for the past 45 years in IT ;)
Thank you! 8)
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

TwitchisMental

Quote from: Shades. on January 26, 2022, 07:27:05 PM
Quote from: TwitchisMental on January 26, 2022, 05:19:23 PMLooking good so far. One suggestion if I may, I would adjust that text-shadow color on the navigation section/breadcrumb area text.
Thanks! Suggestions are welcome and appreciated! Do you mean like the one you shared here?

Quote from: Shambles on January 26, 2022, 05:53:53 PMI think it looks fantastic. Green on black is what I've used for the past 45 years in IT ;)
Thank you! 8)
I mean specifically where it says "Shades Theme Demo Site" in the navigation area. It currently has a grayish text-shadow. It would probably look better without one or just a flat black color.

The default theme has it as -
.navigate_section ul li {
  float: left;
  padding-bottom: 3px;
  line-height: 1.1em;
  color: rgb(68, 68, 68);
  text-shadow: 1px 1px 0 rgb(255, 255, 255);
}

You would adjust the text-shadow here to something more like.

text-shadow: 0px 1px 1px rgba(0,0,0,0.3);

Shades.

Quote from: TwitchisMental on January 26, 2022, 07:41:51 PM
Quote from: Shades. on January 26, 2022, 07:27:05 PM
Quote from: TwitchisMental on January 26, 2022, 05:19:23 PMLooking good so far. One suggestion if I may, I would adjust that text-shadow color on the navigation section/breadcrumb area text.
Thanks! Suggestions are welcome and appreciated! Do you mean like the one you shared here?

Quote from: Shambles on January 26, 2022, 05:53:53 PMI think it looks fantastic. Green on black is what I've used for the past 45 years in IT ;)
Thank you! 8)
I mean specifically where it says "Shades Theme Demo Site" in the navigation area. It currently has a grayish text-shadow. It would probably look better without one or just a flat black color.

The default theme has it as -
.navigate_section ul li {
  float: left;
  padding-bottom: 3px;
  line-height: 1.1em;
  color: rgb(68, 68, 68);
  text-shadow: 1px 1px 0 rgb(255, 255, 255);
}

You would adjust the text-shadow here to something more like.

text-shadow: 0px 1px 1px rgba(0,0,0,0.3);
Oh ok I read that wrong and didn't even see the shadow comment sorry! But yeah I'm still playing with that and thought the same!
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

Steve

Quote from: Shades. on January 26, 2022, 03:06:09 PMNot sure if this would be aloud on the smf theme site or not
Looking at what's there, probably not. You'd need to make it more 'your own' by switching out the icons, etc.

I can check with the customizers if you like.
Please do not PM me for support.

Mick.

Quote from: Steve on January 27, 2022, 07:11:53 AM
Quote from: Shades. on January 26, 2022, 03:06:09 PMNot sure if this would be aloud on the smf theme site or not
Looking at what's there, probably not. You'd need to make it more 'your own' by switching out the icons, etc.

I can check with the customizers if you like.
I believe variants are not allowed.

shadav

play with the layout a bit, as stated make it a bit more your own and I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be allowed

but yeah just changing colors usually isn't allowed on the theme site.
My theme(s) are barely allowed  :P only because I did change things up just slightly enough to be based off of the default themes but not exact copies (if that made sense)
I changed things up just enough for them to be slightly different but still simple enough

TwitchisMental

Quote from: shadav on January 27, 2022, 02:10:48 PMplay with the layout a bit, as stated make it a bit more your own and I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be allowed

but yeah just changing colors usually isn't allowed on the theme site.
My theme(s) are barely allowed  :P only because I did change things up just slightly enough to be based off of the default themes but not exact copies (if that made sense)
I changed things up just enough for them to be slightly different but still simple enough
Just to add on to this, look at other themes for inspiration.

There are also websites like https://dribbble.com/shots/popular/web-design that can give you ideas.

Check out the tips and tricks section too.

It is pretty easy to make your theme unique enough for the SMF Theme Site :).

Steve

Quote from: Mick. on January 27, 2022, 08:16:00 AMI believe variants are not allowed.
Then why is there a curve variants option when searching for themes?
Please do not PM me for support.

Mick.

I dunno. I feel rules change depending on which foot got out of bed first 

Ricky.

Quote from: Steve on January 28, 2022, 02:36:33 PM
Quote from: Mick. on January 27, 2022, 08:16:00 AMI believe variants are not allowed.
Then why is there a curve variants option when searching for themes?

Because there was a time when there were not many choices and hence almost everything was allowed. But as with anything else, SMF got matured and basic curve variations were discouraged to encourage theme author to get more creative and thus giving community improved and unique themes.

shadav

Quote from: Steve on January 28, 2022, 02:36:33 PM
Quote from: Mick. on January 27, 2022, 08:16:00 AMI believe variants are not allowed.
Then why is there a curve variants option when searching for themes?
I believe that was from before the cust team really put "rules" (used loosely) in place...
and well yes variants are allowed
afterall variant simply means that it differs in some respect/aspect from the original...however to my understanding just simple color changes aren't allowed (anymore)...there needs to be a bit more to the variant for it to be approved by the cust team (as far as I understand that is)

Shades.

#14
Ok I added some board icons and fixed the text shadows so let me know what you think about this...

(Think it'll pass now?) O:)
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

TwitchisMental

Quote from: Shades. on January 28, 2022, 10:54:52 PMOk I added some board icons and fixed the text shadows so let me know what you think about this...

(Think it'll pass now?) O:)
You are headed in the right direction. It is looking great and I really like the color choices. Now you need to start making some changes to make it more unique.

It really doesn't take much to do so. A slightly modified menu... maybe a spiced up footer...maybe a new header layout.




Mick.

In my opinion, I'd rid the menu icons. They don't match the new theme scheme in any way. Something I see on latest 2.1 theme submissions.  :-X  https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=578604.msg4096267#msg4096267

-The rounded edges still feels like default. I'd put them at 3px.

-Get rid of the SMF logo and put an Alien on there. Admins can replace with whatever they want after.

-Head to the Tips and Tricks section as suggested earlier https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=72.0 and see what else you can come up with.

-Test the theme as a guest, as a reg user too to make sure the theme is tip-top.

You're in right direction. I dig the color choice.  8)

Shades.

#17
How/where do I give credit for css changes that I've got/will get help with? I've only done small changes myself but I have one or two big ones I'd like to use but I want to give credit to the person(s) who helped without having a bunch of links and copyrights all over the theme?

Also thanks for the tips guys! I've been bookmarking those links!

I still have a lot of work to do I know but I'll keep posting my progress here as I go!

Thanks 8)
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

shadav

I just posted a thank you and a link to where I got some of my edits from in my theme's thread and in a post on my demo site

TwitchisMental

Quote from: Shades. on January 28, 2022, 11:40:31 PMHow/where do I give credit for css changes that I've got/will get help with? I've only done small changes myself but I have one or two big ones I'd like to use but I want to give credit to the person(s) who helped without having a bunch of links and copyrights all over the theme?

Also thanks for the tips guys! I've been bookmarking those links!

I still have a lot of work to do I know but I'll keep posting my progress here as I go!

Thanks 8)
You can give any credit you feel needed via a comment in the theme post/submission.

Look at my Aurora Theme for example. I have a shout out section in the dedicated thread.

If you have any trouble implementing any changes, just make a topic about it. Tons of the members here are great at sorting out issues.

Advertisement: