News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF 2.0.19 and OpenID - The requested identifier did not return the proper infor

Started by martiniturbide, January 24, 2022, 06:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martiniturbide

Hi

It's the first time I'm trying OpenID for my SMForum site (and first time using OpenID ever) and I'm not sure what I'm missing.

I had enabled OpenID on "Admin - Members - Settings".
After enabling it when I try to register a new account with my hotmail (that supposedly uses OpenID) I get a message that says "An Error Has Occurred! The requested identifier did not return the proper information."

I'm I missing to register some kind of keys between the OpenID providers or something like that?

Regards

Arantor

Are you sure Hotmail supports OpenID? It might support OpenID Connect, something completely different to OpenID and not supported in SMF.

The only documentation I can find on Hotmail suggests it used to have OpenID 1.0 a decade ago but doesn't support it now... but I can't confirm that.

martiniturbide

Hi

I'm not really sure of Hotmail (Microsoft) supports it since it is the first I'm trying it.

According to: https://openid.net/certification/   Microsoft is listed but maybe it is for another thing.

Do you have the OpenID service working? Can I test it with some other public email provider that you may know?

Regards

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That table does not mention Microsoft Personal accounts, and I would expect it to if it were actually supported.
With Microsoft, always assume it doesn't work for Personal accounts unless specifically stated otherwise.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

The Microsoft products they talk about are things like ADFS and Azure Active Directiry which is nothing to do with Hotmail.

In any case they're talking about OpenID Connect (aka OpenID v2) whereas the only thing SMF supports is OpenID v1.

The only provider I've ever seen it work with is LiveJournal where you start by giving it your LiveJournal URL to log in with (as per classic OpenID, you don't give it an email address)

What you're looking for is not supported, sorry.

martiniturbide

Hello

So I guess I was having a wrong expectation about OpenID. I thought it was something will allow the users to register and login with a userID and password (SSO) from several common vendors like Google, etc.

I guess I need a different mod for that.

Regards

Advertisement: