News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Can't update from 2.0.18 to 2.0.19

Started by someuser001, January 28, 2022, 03:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

someuser001

Hi,

I have been trying to update to 2.0.19 but I can't get it to work. It is installed on Ubuntu 20.04 64 bit.

I first tried through Admin -> Package Manager -> Browse packages. After clicking the link to update it "You can install this patch (click here to install) to fix your forum and update it to 2.0.19.", it shows me the following:

Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF.

I checked, and both Packages and its subdirectory are writable by the www-data user and group (chmod 744). Tried again, and same issue. I added the package php-zip just in case it is needed, and restarting (stop then start) apache2 but it doesn't change anything.

I tried to download it (using Download package) to see if it changes anything. Same issue being displayed.

So, I went into the Packages directory, and downloaded the zip file, set the permission as 777, changed the owner/group to www-data. The package doesn't appear in the Browse packages listing. I create a directory named after the file, move the zip file in there, unzip it and delete it, followed by setting recursively the perms+owner/group to the directory. Browse packages still doesn't see it.

I'm probably doing something wrong, but I ran out of ideas on what I missed.

Arantor

The patch failing to *download* to your server sometimes happens.

The second issue, of the package being manually uploaded... that's not going to work - because you've uploaded the full upgrade package (an entire set of 2.0.19, rather than just the changes)

Head to https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?action=patches and grab the 2.0.18 to 2.0.19 package from there, upload that and see what happens.

shadav

what is the name of the package file you are trying to use in the package manager?
is it
smf_2-0-19_install
smf_2-0-19_upgrade
or
smf_patch_2.0.19

please note that it is the smf_patch_2.0.19 file that you want, if you are trying to use the package manager
you can download it from the Patches page
(you can reach this page by the link I posted above or by clicking on the Download link in the menu at the top of the site and then clicking on the left side menu where it says Package Manager Updates)

someuser001

That solved it. I was downloading the large upgrade as it was mentioned. Downloading the patch solved the issue and the forum is up to date now. Thanks a lot :)

Advertisement: