News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Time display is UTC despite UTC -5:00 EST setting....

Started by woolly bugger, February 13, 2022, 01:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woolly bugger

trying to figure out how to resolve this....

Changing the Forum default timezone has no effect

You cannot view this attachment.

Arantor

What exactly is set to UTC and what exactly is set to UTC-5 where?

There is a server time zone setting and a time zone setting in your profile.

woolly bugger

Quote from: Arantor on February 13, 2022, 01:13:20 PMWhat exactly is set to UTC and what exactly is set to UTC-5 where?

There is a server time zone setting and a time zone setting in your profile.

ok on the Admin General Settings it is UTC -5 EST

but I checked my profile and it was UTC with no offset...

This wasn't not an issue before upgrade from 2.1 RC4 to 2.1.1

will all users be set to UTC?

Sesquipedalian

I cannot reproduce that. I'm not sure what happened in your specific case, @woolly bugger, but this is unlikely to affect other users.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

shawnb61

If your server is really on UTC (like most), the offset should be 0.  That numeric offset value is only for really non-standard servers.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

alkisg

I have the same problem. After upgrading from 2.0.19 to 2.1.1, the times are now displayed in UTC.
I compared the database dumps from before and after the upgrade and I saw that all the user profiles now have timezone = UTC, while previously `grep UTC database-dump.sql` returned nothing.
I guess the upgrader set everyone's timezone to UTC.

If users now go to their profile settings and select Greek UTC+2, I can see that they get Europe/Athens in the database, but of course we can't expect all the users to have to do this.

This will probably affect other SMF installations, it would be nice to fix the upgrader to avoid it.

I'll execute an SQL command to update everyone's timezone; what should I set it to, empty or Europe/Athens?
In the control panel, I do not see a "use the forum's default" entry, shouldn't there be one, that would map to the empty database value, to save space and make global changes easier?

edit: I ended up executing the following sql command to reset everyone's timezone to '':

Code (sql) Select
UPDATE `myforum_members` SET `timezone` = '';

m4z

"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Advertisement: