Thank you to all the writers of the SMF Online Manual

Started by davo88, February 18, 2022, 04:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davo88

Just want to say a big THANK YOU to all the authors of the SMF Online Manual.
I remember having many head scratching moments trying to figure out tricky situations in the early days of SMF (pre-2010).

But now, I find the Online Manual has improved enormously in recent years. I really appreciate all the work that has been done and all the links to additional explanatory articles.

Writing documentation requires good technical knowledge, attention to detail and the ability to explain things clearly. But it also requires massive patience because usually that technical knowledge wants to race off and do more exciting things.

Well done SMF Team!

Matthias

I can wholeheartedly agree with this.

A great deal has happened in this regard in recent years.
I also give the work a thumbs-up. Writing documentation is always difficult for developers. The motto is: Now I have to document this in a way that everyone can understand...  :(  ;)

Is it actually possible to translate the documentation into other languages, or is it only available in English?
Quality first

Antechinus

It's possible to translate it. It just needs someone to do it.

Doug Heffernan

I will join in as well in this thank you to all the contributors of the SMF Online Manual. They have really done a great job.

Matthias

Quote from: Antechinus on February 18, 2022, 04:52:16 PMIt's possible to translate it. It just needs someone to do it.

Ok, could you give me a hand on that, especially for the documentation. I'm comftible with english and german.
Quality first

Antechinus

I'm only any good with English. :) Not much help for translating anything.

Matthias

Quality first

Arantor

The implication is that someone who only speaks one language is not going to know how to do a translation as it is something they're never going to look up - same for me, I know the theory of how translating works but since I only speak English, I'm never going to put time into learning how the translation setup works.

Antechinus

If this site has a translation interface somewhere, I've never looked at it and have no idea how it works. I've never used the WIki interface either.

SleePy

Quote from: Matthias on February 18, 2022, 04:49:14 PMIs it actually possible to translate the documentation into other languages, or is it only available in English?
We have the translate extension running on the wiki, so yes.  You can see links to other languages or add one.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Illori

m4z

Quote from: Matthias on February 18, 2022, 05:22:34 PM
Quote from: Antechinus on February 18, 2022, 04:52:16 PMIt's possible to translate it. It just needs someone to do it.

Ok, could you give me a hand on that, especially for the documentation. I'm comftible with english and german.

Since you already were a translator in the past, I can re-add you (I'll try to do so later today, maybe tomorrow). Then, with the appropriate permissions, you should see the relevant "translate this page" links in the wiki.

Edit: To clarify, you'd still have to follow the instructions above. I just meant to say that you won't have to wait for a discussion and vote on your application.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Matthias

Quality first

landyvlad

I'm Australian so can freely translate to English and Canadian, and if I spell things poorly - American.  :P
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

I'm just going to leave this here... ;D

You cannot view this attachment.

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Matthias

As far as I know, there are one or two china towns in larger cities in the USA.  ;)
Quality first

Advertisement: