Idea: genius or stupidity?

Started by landyvlad, February 20, 2022, 09:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

landyvlad

On many occasions one of the the questions asked in support is:

"What mods do you have installed?" or "What PHP version you running?"

On another forum I'm on they have what's essentially the 'spoiler' bbcode tag enabled in the signature (though its called something else)

Would it perhaps be possible for something like this to be implemented here - with a standard template for use so it would have people's SMF version. PHP version, etc also mods installed and whatever else may be relevant)

That way the info is readily accesible to those who may wish to offer support- saving time and frustration.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

shawnb61

There is an existing tool designed to help the support team:
https://github.com/SimpleMachines/tools/blob/master/smfinfo.php

It was updated not too long ago to support the latest 2.1 (but I think there are now some conflicts with php 8+).

The idea was it could be installed on a problem forum and info could be shared.  A simple dummy password token can be generated to allow the forum admin to share the info with selected folks for assistance. 

It can help with detailed db questions, detailed mysql settings, php settings, mods installed, etc.

It's actually very cool, I'm surprised it's not used.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

landyvlad

I'm thinking along the lines of something that can be easily implemented by every user without any need for installation of other stuff.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Illori

those are items that if everyone knew could lead to a forum being hacked if they are not secure enough, so unless it was hidden in the admin panel [where it is already] it is not a good idea to be visible to everyone.

shawnb61

Correct, you do not want it wide open.  That's why they use the simple token.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Matthias

For example, you could simply display a note in the support boards that you should specify the SMF and PHP version in the request. If you want to write a private message here, a note is also displayed that you should not send a private message to the team for support requests.
This would be a good and simple way.
Quality first

m4z

Like this, you say? (Yeah, it's missing for 2.1...)
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

landyvlad

Quote from: Illori on February 21, 2022, 05:02:14 PMthose are items that if everyone knew could lead to a forum being hacked if they are not secure enough, so unless it was hidden in the admin panel [where it is already] it is not a good idea to be visible to everyone.

Ah I didn't really consider that, cheers

Matthias

Quality first

Advertisement: