News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

2.1 Ignore Function

Started by FrizzleFried, February 21, 2022, 08:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrizzleFried

Did the way the IGNORE function works change from 2.0 to 2.1?  I am getting an influx of complaints from my users who use this function.  They are telling me they could ignore entire sub-forums before,  but they can not do that now.   Was that functionality a modification I added to 2.0.x or was the way it worked changed from 2.0.x to 2.1.x?

FWIW,  my #1 complaint about the SMF forums software has been the not-so-good ignore functionality.  I have a lot of real whiney "younger" folks on my forum and they seem to be incapable of manually ignoring people they don't agree with.

Arantor

No, the functionality has not changed, if enabled in the ACP it's been possible to ignore boards entirely.

Still there too, I use it to exclude all the non-English content on this site for example.

What did change is that it's also possible to ignore individual threads too.

FrizzleFried

The "ACP"?  Can you please expand.  I'm guessing I have it set as "not enabled".

Thank you.

Arantor

ACP = Admin Control Panel.

I want to say it's in the boards > settings page to allow users to ignore boards, then it's just an area in the Profile after that.

FrizzleFried

OK.  That setting is,  indeed,  set... but the users are complaining they can't ignore boards now.

I've never used the ignore function ever... I guess it's time to go poke around.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I do use it here, like Arantor, to avoid certain non-english boards. Haven't had issues with it.
Once it's enabled, it's pretty straight forward. Profile -> Forum Profile -> Ignore Boards
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

@rjen

I was curious, because I am also ignoring the language boards here (those languages I do not speak).

Just went to my profile and the ignore boards flags were showing. Then I changed 1 board and saved .... and now all ignored board settings are gone from the profile(!)

Same happens on my 2.1 test forum... I feel this may be a bug...
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Interesting, that does indeed sound like a bug.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

shawnb61

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

FrizzleFried

Update...

I asked my users who are experiencing this issue to describe the behavior...

This is what one just posted...

QuoteI'm not sure how much more specific I can be, really.

I had two sub-forums ignored on the old version. They did not show up on my main forum page where it had all the sections and section descriptions. They show up now.

I went to the review board section of my profile, I can check boxes and hit save, but as soon as the page reloaded there were no boxes checked.

I have tried on both the mobile and desktop sites.

m4z

Didn't we have a similar issue to this before? A couple of months back, when this forum was updated to some 2.1 RC git version, we (or at least I) had to re-enable notifications.

https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues/6956 → Maybe the underlying cause is similar?
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Kindred

Also could be related to a host side cache
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

shawnb61

Bug confirmed.  It's not properly saving updates.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

@rjen

Is there any chance to get some sort of 'advanced correction' for this issue applied to this Simplemachines forum?

https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues/7343

Due to my 'test' I can now no longer ignore any boards here anymore...  :'(  :-\  :-[ 

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

@rjen

I just created my own package to patch this on 2.1.1. attaching it here. No warranty...

@rjen

The ignore boards function here is still broken...

Diego Andrés

I suppose there's no point in adding "hotfixes" that are not security related if they'll be fixed in a future patch

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

@rjen

Quote from: Diego Andrés on March 03, 2022, 12:46:03 PMI suppose there's no point in adding "hotfixes" that are not security related if they'll be fixed in a future patch

I am pretty sure that there was at least one of those (not security related) hotfixes applied here when it was still on 2.0.18.
Mind you it's not that urgent, I am just reminded of it every time I look at the unread topics these days and half of them are in languages that I cannot read...  ::)

Diego Andrés

Quote from: @rjen on March 03, 2022, 01:15:56 PMI am just reminded of it every time I look at the unread topics these days and half of them are in languages that I cannot read
Oh yes I can agree on that.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Advertisement: