News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Wrong subject in post quoting

Started by Doctor Asp, March 03, 2022, 05:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor Asp

I believe I´ve found a bug. :-)
Default theme, english, no mods.

I create a new thread named "Subject1".
I create a new post in the thread and change the subject of this post to "Subject2".
I quote the post and expect the subject of this new post to be "Subject2" but it´s "Subject1".
/Doctor Asp

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Doctor Asp on March 03, 2022, 05:07:50 AMI believe I´ve found a bug. :-)

I create a new post in the thread and change the subject of this post to "Subject2".
I quote the post and expect the subject of this new post to be "Subject2" but it´s "Subject1".

I think it should be "Re: Subject1". Not "Subject1" or "Subject2".
And that is how it works here.  (Edit: Tried, this is how it works. )

So what version are you on exactly??
Does this happen if you change browsers?
What if you change devices?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

Not a bug.

In 2.0.x and prior
Smf tags every posting a topic with re:(the original subject)

This can be manually changed, but such changes do not become the new topic... only for that one.

Smf does not do multi-threaded conversations
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Doctor Asp

Quote from: Aleksi on March 03, 2022, 06:19:31 AM
Quote from: Doctor Asp on March 03, 2022, 05:07:50 AMI believe I´ve found a bug. :-)

I think it should be "Re: Subject1". Not "Subject1" or "Subject2".
And that is how it works here.  (Edit: Tried, this is how it works. )

So what version are you on exactly??
Does this happen if you change browsers?
What if you change devices?

SMF 2.1.1
Tested in Chrome and Edge
I still believe it´s a bug. When I quote a post with another subject line than the first post in the thread, I should have the quoted posts subject line in my new post.

It should be fairly easy to pick the quoted posts subject line instead of the first posts subject line.

It does work if done manually when quoting, but it shouldn´t be the users responsibility to maintain the actual subject line. And the subject field is first visible after you press Preview.

BTW: Post subject lines are not visible in this forum.
/Doctor Asp

Arantor

This isn't a bug, this is working as originally designed.

The main reason for not trusting the per-message subject is because it's very easy to screw up the subject on a multilanguage forum. Not every language has "Re:" as the prefix and to accommodate for that means you run the risk of either mangling the subject or getting "Re: Re: Re: Re:" prefixes if people quote each other.

In any case people changing the subject is not a widely used feature (hence it being turned off on this forum and by default in 2.1), so it's even less considered to be a bug.

Doctor Asp

Ok so - intentional behaviour - thx.
/Doctor Asp

Advertisement: