Strange issue when trying to use the package manager to install a mod -SMF 2.1.1

Started by melcon, March 04, 2022, 06:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

melcon

List of specifications: SMF 2.1.1, 5.5.5-10.2.30-MariaDB, PHP 8.0.3
Link: not allowed to post external links (because I am a new user?)
Problem:
When I am trying to install a mod via the package manager (e.g. Emotions Smiley v1.0) I get a login screen.
To summarize the steps I take that lead to the issue:
- Select Admin
- Enter password to get to the Admin Panel
- Select Package Manager -- > Browse Packages
- Select "Install Mod"
- The login screen shows (as if I were logged out of the forum, however at the the top row I am still logged in)

Correct FTP settings have been entered under the Options section in the package manager.
I also checked the file permissions under File Permissions (And should be all right).

No errors in the error log.

Illori

Are you able to manually download a mod from the mod site and upload and install?

melcon

Good idea! I just tried right away and found out it leads to the same result in the end.
The upload is succesfull, however when trying to install I get the login screen.

Kindred

I can't reproduce this on my test system.

I don't think I've ever seen the issue that you are seeing...  so, hmmmmm.....

are you running the default theme?

Are you running any other software/scripts on the domain?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

melcon

I am running the default theme (Curve2), no other mods installed. mod_security is not loaded, I will double check with the hoster. Yes it is a really strange issue, all other things work perfectly fine (including uploading attachements to a post for example). Also running Joomla on this domain (separate database and directory off course), no other scripts.

Dave J

As you don't have any mods installed, run a backup of the files and database and try re-installing/upgrading again.
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

m4z

That mod doesn't claim to be compatible with 2.1; do any mods (that are compatible with 2.1) work?
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Dave J

Quote from: m4z on March 04, 2022, 10:00:52 AMThat mod doesn't claim to be compatible with 2.1; do any mods (that are compatible with 2.1) work?

These do ;)

You cannot view this attachment.
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Kindred

Dave J --    Please allow the OP to answer, since you are not encountering the error that the OP is seeing, any assumption on your part of something that should work may be flawed.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

melcon

Quote from: m4z on March 04, 2022, 10:00:52 AMThat mod doesn't claim to be compatible with 2.1; do any mods (that are compatible with 2.1) work?
Good point,I have tried several other  (compatible with 2.1) mods and they all lead me back to the login screen (in the top bar SMF stills says I am logged on). I have confirmed with the host mod_security is not enabled/loaded. So not really sure why it's not working, I did manage to get a smiley set working using the admin panel ((forum->smileys) and uploading the smileys there.

So in that way I have resolved the smiley part, however I just don't understand why the package manager does not want to work.

Kindred

can you PM me your url along with a temporary admin account to your forum?
Слaва
Украинi

m4z

Quote from: melcon on March 04, 2022, 06:18:32 AMI also checked the file permissions under File Permissions (And should be all right).

What exactly are the permissions? (Or: what isn't "Writable"?) What is "all right" depends very much on the details of your setup, and problems with temporary files might be invisible under (Admin → Main → Package Manager →) File Permissions.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

melcon

Quote from: Kindred on March 08, 2022, 09:58:50 AMcan you PM me your url along with a temporary admin account to your forum?
Yes no problem, sorry for the late reply, I was pre-occupied with some other things.

@m4z Good point, I applied the "default permission profile" to be sure when before writing the post.

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

Quote from: melcon on March 25, 2022, 03:07:58 AM
Quote from: Kindred on March 08, 2022, 09:58:50 AMcan you PM me your url along with a temporary admin account to your forum?
Yes no problem, sorry for the late reply, I was pre-occupied with some other things.

OK, apologizes for the delay replying from me as well.  I've finally had a chance to review your site/situation.

I have to admit, I am stumped.

I removed all of the 2.0.x mods from your package list (most were 2.0.x updated anyway)
I added the 2.1 version of the SAVE mod and deleted the 2.0 versions.

I attempted to install a smileys pack, a 2.1 hooks only mod and the 2.1 SAVE...
All have the same result as you originally reported -->   Attempting to install the mod leads to a base login screen (not the admin password secondary challenge)
index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install;package=SimpleAudioVideoEmbedder6.0.6.zip

there is nothing showing in the browser console or debug screens.
turning off admin security has no effect (turned back on after the test)

A few notes:
Please check the status of "mod_security" on your host.
I notice that you are running joomla on the main domain directory... what is the .htaccess for the root directory?
What is the .htaccess for the smf directory?

Слaва
Украинi

melcon

Thanks for reviewing, that's all right, all other functionality is working perfectly, so not a big issue with time pressure for us.
The hosting party has assured me mod_security is turned off, I will ask them again.

Yes we also run Joomla (in /joomla3, there is a re-direct in the main dir).
The .htaccess file in the root has the following contents:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP:X-Forwarded-Proto} !https
RewriteRule ^ https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [L,R=301]

The .htaccess file in the SMF dir has one commented out line:
#php_flag display_errors offI can't remember why this line is there, we've been running SMF since version 1 so probably some historical reason.

So yes, quite a strange issue isn't it  :o

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: melcon on April 21, 2022, 02:30:43 AM#php_flag display_errors offI can't remember why this line is there, we've been running SMF since version 1 so probably some historical reason.

That is to disable PHP Error Reporting. If I were you, I would switch php error reporting back on. Are you on a shared hosting or do you manage your own dedicated/vps box?

This issue that you are getting while installing a mod, does it happen only when performing that particular action or do you get it when you perform other actions too?

Did the error pop up immediately after you upgraded to Smf 2.1.1. or did you do some modification to your forum/server prior to that?

Steve

If the line is commented out, doesn't that mean that PHP Error Reporting is on?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Steve on April 21, 2022, 05:42:46 AMIf the line is commented out, doesn't that mean that PHP Error Reporting is on?

Yes, it looks like that. Providing they have enabled it at the php.ini too.

Advertisement: