News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Up Arrow in Reply and P/M messages No Worky

Started by Bob Clifton, March 09, 2022, 02:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Clifton

May not be a Bug but it no worky in Firefox or old ie Browsers

But nuttin happens when you click on the Arrow except the Background color changes for a milisceond

If a Grasshopper Carried a Shotgun the Birds wouldn't Mess With Them

Arantor

The bit you're clicking on isn't actually the arrow, but the widget that is on top of the arrow, used for resizing the editor.

If you go to a fresh reply (here for example) you'll see the lines in the corner without a scrollbar.

Bob Clifton

Arantor

Well, 2.1 has a different editor - the draggable widget is smaller now.

Bob Clifton

Maybe I ain't Splainin it right but when you are typing a reply and go for a ways down and want to go back up you use to be able to just hit the ARROW like I posted in the picture NOT the Widget ;I got that .
Look closer at my pic and you will see the ARROW not a widget thing .
Thanks

Sesquipedalian

Your image points at the down arrow on the scroll bar, not the up arrow.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Arantor

I just took a screenshot of this forum - which is (mostly) unmodified 2.1, and I'm using Firefox.

I outlined the widget that your picture pointed to, it just so happens that the widget sits over the top of the down arrow (the one that moves the text up) so when you click, it clicks on the widget instead of the arrow.

Bob Clifton

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on March 09, 2022, 03:11:58 PMYour image points at the down arrow on the scroll bar, not the up arrow.

Correct Sir, but it does not move the script any more like she use to  whether you are in the middle of the post or top or bottom .
No biggy just don't why it does not work as it use to .
I can grab the bar and move the script with my Moose.

Bob Clifton

Here is pic wit ARROW and WIDGET and when you click on ARROW on this site it will move up but NOT Down  ???

Arantor

The widget to resize the editor is what you're clicking on, not the arrow. You can verify this by clicking on it without any content in the editor (and thus no scrollbar).

Bob Clifton

There is Content in the Frame I posted  and if it was a live link you can click on the Top ARROW or the Bottom ARROW and the bar will  move to bring content into view  in old versions but she no move in 2.1.1.
Like I said no Biggy and Thanks for lookin at it .

m4z

What Arantor is trying to say (I think) is that this isn't really a bug, it's just how this version of the editor seems to work.

The resize thingy (which you can hold and then drag, and which makes the background change when you click it) is over the down arrow, so you can't reach the down arrow, ever. With my setup I can also see this by the cursor changing to a hand (indicating drag-and-drop) when I am over that corner, compared to a normal pointer when I hover over the top arrow.

I can't reproduce the text scrolling up when I click it, though.

And I'm not sure what you're trying to say in your last post, that the top arrow also doesn't work for you?

"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Illori

in my browser, that scroll bar does not even exist, just the option to resize the text box.

Arantor

If you put in a bunch of empty lines you'll get a scrollbar. And if you click very carefully *next* to the widget you can still even use the down arrow when the scrollbar inevitably does turn up.

FrizzleFried

Just tried it out and the scroll bar and it's arrows work as they should. It's not hard to NOT hit the re-size widget even.  Not sure what the issue is...

Bob Clifton

Quote from: Arantor on March 09, 2022, 07:36:26 PMIf you put in a bunch of empty lines you'll get a scrollbar. And if you click very carefully *next* to the widget you can still even use the down arrow when the scrollbar inevitably does turn up.

That is Right but the arrow only works one way for  UNLESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS like you say ol stublefingers here just ain't catching the arrow . Think it is solved not a problem to begin with just mis understood ....lol
Thanks everyone !

m4z

Quote from: Arantor on March 09, 2022, 07:36:26 PMIf you put in a bunch of empty lines you'll get a scrollbar.

Yes, that's what I did (and forgot to mention O:) ).

Quote from: Arantor on March 09, 2022, 07:36:26 PMAnd if you click very carefully *next* to the widget you can still even use the down arrow when the scrollbar inevitably does turn up.

Doesn't work for me (Chromium on Linux, with increased default font size and zoom (if that matters)), I can't avoid the widget (but I don't see it as a problem).
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Illori

Quote from: Arantor on March 09, 2022, 07:36:26 PMIf you put in a bunch of empty lines you'll get a scrollbar. And if you click very carefully *next* to the widget you can still even use the down arrow when the scrollbar inevitably does turn up.

i tried that and no scroll bar showed up.

FrizzleFried

Behavior I noticed....

With BBC editor,  the scroll bar appears but I can go up and down... widget is there too.

You cannot view this attachment.

Change editor over to WYSIWYG editor and the scroll bar moves to the left a slight bit... making it even easier to push the down button.  I would suggest if you're having issues hitting DOWN,  click over to the WYSIWYG editor...it may help?

You cannot view this attachment.

Bob Clifton

I have got it now ! Working  fine by carefully sneakin up on it mit der mouse pointer and grabbing it when it highlights .
It still works just need to finesse it a bit and probably decreasing the size of the mouse pointer would help but then I couldn't see the pointer ...
So basically there is no bug but mostly Pilot Error .
Thanks for all the input

Advertisement: