News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Unread Posts Potential Bug

Started by FrizzleFried, March 12, 2022, 01:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrizzleFried

On my site,  when you click Unread Posts... the link is "https://www.xxxx.com/index.php?action=unread" ... some users noticed that a few threads are left out for some reason... however,  if you use the same link for unread posts that was used on my 2.0.x forum... " http://www.xxxx.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0"... it includes all threads.

Is this a bug?

Arantor

No, and the behaviour you describe is modified since what 2.1 does is the same as 2.0 by default.

The "for some reason" is "let's show you the very latest, the stuff since you were here last" to a) focus on the very latest and b) to cut down the actual server usage since unread posts is actually one of the most computationally expensive operations in SMF.

Note that if you hit the general unread with "nothing to read", it will offer you "all unread" with the link you have - and that hasn't changed since 2.0.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Just to clarify that a small bit, the ;all;start=0 bit isn't included in the link by default on either version.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

FrizzleFried

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 12, 2022, 04:55:35 AMJust to clarify that a small bit, the ;all;start=0 bit isn't included in the link by default on either version.

Hmm... not sure what mod would have added that all;start=0 bit from 2.0.x then...

FWIW,  i rarely if ever click that button choosing to browse at my leisure.  I'm just describing a complaint from one of my users...

Arantor

Likely not a mod but just a tiny tweak in the theme of old.

FrizzleFried

Where would I make the edit to add ";all;start=0"?

I am getting a continual stream of ******ing & complaining (you guys know about that I'm sure) from the userbase because it's no longer included... evidently it DOES make quite the difference...

Arantor

Here's the code in Curve2's index.template.php for those buttons:

if ($context['user']['is_logged'])
echo '
<ul class="unread_links">
<li>
<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=unread" title="', $txt['unread_since_visit'], '">', $txt['view_unread_category'], '</a>
</li>
<li>
<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=unreadreplies" title="', $txt['show_unread_replies'], '">', $txt['unread_replies'], '</a>
</li>
</ul>';

You will want to change the action=unread to action=unread;all;start=0 and possibly the $txt['unread_since_visit'] tooltip to be $txt['unread_topics_all'] which is more accurate.

Advertisement: