News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Does someone take care of Wikipedia?

Started by –Michael, November 25, 2005, 05:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

–Michael

This is more a marketing issue.

Wikipedia shows "The neutrality of this article is disputed" in the SMF article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Machines_Forum

I already extended the German version of Wikipedia SMF: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Machines_Forum (although it is still not perfect).

I'd appreciate if someone could take a look at the English Wikipedia article in a regular manner since Wikipedia has many views by month.
IMHO the article should get rid of this weird "the neutrality..." warning....
Also, I think SMF should be there in more languages, English and German is not enough!
My SMF Mod: Static Page Mod

Grudge

I do believe when this came up before we took the viewpoint that no-one from the team should be writing articles about SMF on Wikipedia as our viewpoints would clearly not be neutral. I don't believe it's our place to intervene in Wikipedia - it's not suppossed to be there as a form of advertising but to state the facts. I can see why someone may take the viewpoint that the support section isn't neutral - although I'd say that it is only reporting what the support model here is - it's not saying that the support is good etc.
I'm only a half geek really...

–Michael

I completely agree with you that it is not supposed to be a form of advertising but to state facts there.
But who knows facts better than someone from the SMF team? OK, of course an SMF developer/supporter will always think SMF is the best forum, but who knows e.g. the history of SMF better?
As we all know does SMF have many advantages, why not list these in a neutral manner?
Just some sentences in the current article should be written in other words so that it does not appear as if it is a marketing flyer (as it does maybe now).
I think we should not wait for someone who may describe SMF correctly there, I think the team should at least offer a great, neutral article. Wikipedia will honor it, if the article is neutral and harmonious, nobody will criticize something and finally SMF will be more established when compared with other software.
My SMF Mod: Static Page Mod

Trekkie101

I wrote the page, [Unknown] fixed some inaccuracys. Oh my, on looking bad what a bad sentance construction. 

Advertisement: