Stop Forum Spam

Started by SleePy, March 21, 2022, 12:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleePy

All fixed up.  It was a rename of things due to a complex SMF bug that won't be fixed in 2.1..
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

landyvlad

OK so I am running httpBL (but thats becoming problematic so I have been looking for alternatives especially for when I upgrade to 2.1)

Is anyone running this succesfully with demonstrated results on 2.0.19?
If so I may install this on the existing forum. 
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

njcyx

Is this mod (v1.2) also compatible with SMF 2.1.2?

SleePy

I am not aware of any compatibility issues.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Metaltype

Hi, Really appreciating this Mod, on the whole it works great.

However, I recently had a person want to use the username Jason and it wouldn't let him.

It led me to realise I didn't understand this setting:

I've now disabled the check username option to allow him to use the board.

Would changing that number do anything?

Would checking the box further down in the settings that says ignore wildcard username checks be a better option than disabling username checks?

Sorry to ramble on a bit, just wondering what the best option is.

Kindred

?? ??

You can set reserved names in the core software. Separate from this mod
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SleePy

https://www.stopforumspam.com/search?q=Jason

You can see that "Jason" has been reported many times.  The Confidence level is returned by the API for how much it believes "Jason" is likely a spammer.  I realize that the Stop Forum web site doesn't show the confidence level, only the API.

http://api.stopforumspam.org/api?username=Jason&json

You can see by the API test, it is reporting it as 72.73 right now.  You can set it to 75 right now and it would let Jason through.  If you notice more spammers are getting through using more common spammer names, you can lower the threshold.

If you check the ignore wildcard usernames, it sends to the API to do exact match for "Jason", but it doesn't seem to change anything here.

If you are wondering more about data that is received by the mod, you can enable the debugging of SFS requests, to see all the data as returned by the API.  This is not really meant to run in production, but can help answer questions about the data being received.
You cannot view this attachment.

Metaltype

Thanks for the prompt reply. Changed setting to 75, everything OK for now.
Thanks

Steve

Is not the default setting for the box labeled 'Check Username?' set to unchecked?

And if so, wouldn't it let anyone's names through provided the other criteria aren't met?

And lastly, do you recommend leaving the box unchecked?
DO NOT pm me for support!

SleePy

Its not checked by default.  As seen, it can produce false positives.  But if you are getting hit hard, it may be worth trying to enable it and see if it helps curve spammers.  You may want to disable the wildcard matching as I indicated, it will match any name on partials.

Steve

GL700Wing

For SMF 2.0 this mod cannot be uninstalled because of an error in the package file 'sfs_hooks_remove.php' - there is a comma missing at the end of the second last hook name.

The only way I could uninstall the mod was to delete the previous package file from the './Packages' directory/folder and upload a new package file that contains a fixed version of 'sfs_hooks_remove.php'.

Find:
    'integrate_manage_logs' => 'SFSA::hook_manage_logs'
Replace with
    'integrate_manage_logs' => 'SFSA::hook_manage_logs',
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

SleePy

All fixed up in v1.3  Fixed a issue with the tracking page as well not showing details like it was supposed to and a undefined index issue on logs.

Мel

Right after I install this mod I got this error:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting ';' or '{' in /home/me/forum/Sources/SFS.php on line 46How do I fix this, or how do I uninstall this mod manually? Can't find install guide anywhere.

2.0.19, PHP 7.3.27.
"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."
- Qui-Gon Jinn

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Мel on June 24, 2022, 01:28:26 PMRight after I install this mod I got this error:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting ';' or '{' in /home/me/forum/Sources/SFS.php on line 46How do I fix this, or how do I uninstall this mod manually? Can't find install guide anywhere.

2.0.19, PHP 7.3.27.

A mod broke my forum

Steve

Also, can you bump up your PHP any higher than 7.3.x?

Мel

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on June 24, 2022, 01:47:40 PM
Quote from: Мel on June 24, 2022, 01:28:26 PMRight after I install this mod I got this error:

2.0.19, PHP 7.3.27.

A mod broke my forum
Somehow it's not fixing the issue, tried it several times.
Quote from: Steve on June 24, 2022, 01:57:54 PMAlso, can you bump up your PHP any higher than 7.3.x?
I can ask my hosting provider. Should it work?
- Qui-Gon Jinn

Steve

I don't know that it has anything to do with it but you're on a deprecated version.

Arantor

Likely the mod requires 7.4 for its new features. Can't confirm as on mobile but the error is suggestive to me.

Мel

- Qui-Gon Jinn

Advertisement: