News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[FREE/PAID] Personal Image Attachment Repository

Started by FrizzleFried, April 24, 2022, 06:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrizzleFried

I know that I have more than one image that I like to use while posting throughout my site.  I used to rely on Photobucket to serve these images.  Now it's Imgur.  But what happens if Imgur goes the way of Photobucket (pay pay pay!!)?

The idea: A personal repository ... only accessible by yourself ... to store commonly used images for use on the forum.  I envision a thumbnail view of images you've uploaded ... accessible via your profile ... where you can click on the image to bring up a pop up with the image + the BBC code link all ready to copy (maybe with a copy button next to it that will copy said BBS code)... which you can then use in your posts.  Perhaps even make this personal repository accessible from not only your profile,  but from within the message editor template itself... ideally as a pop-up ...

The idea is to keep the images local ... local images ensure they will remain within posts for longer periods of time.

Ideally the system would have all the bells and whistles necessary for administration ... plus permissions, etc. tied to both usage as well as limits (the number of images allowed ... the size of each image,  etc.)... image types, etc...

I think something like this would make Imgur/Photobucket/etc less necessary... and would keep the record longer.

I know a local forum I am on lost a BUNCH of information when Photobucket did what they did... and it essentially killed a BUNCH of the history of the site.

Steve

Couldn't you do that with just about any gallery mod and just don't give permissions for other groups to use it?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

Not really no, the idea being that you have a stash of images you can use and reuse on the forum, easily and conveniently. A gallery where only you can see it doesn't let you reshare easily.

Steve

I meant that anyone could see his images, just that no one else could use the gallery for their own images?

Or am I still missing something, which is highly possible?

Arantor

It's more if I were to upload a meme, I'd want to be able to easily find and repost that meme later in another post.

You could maybe do something with a gallery but I think this might flow better with attachments.

Steve

FrizzleFried

Arantor has it.  Basically a PRIVATE gallery for each user... only accessible by the user (and moderating team of course if necessary) to use within the forum.  Think a thumbnail view of images... click the image in question and a pop-up of a larger version of the image with the BBC code below it.  On places like IMGUR it also includes other links like external links direct links different sized images links, etc.... that's not necessary for this mod as this mod would be focused on serving only the forum it's installed on... so only the direct BBC code link would be necessary. 

Perhaps because of that,  even having to click the link wouldn't be necessary...perhaps offer different views from the get-go... thumbnail... large thumbnail... per-image... etc... then when you click on it,  it automatically copies the BBC code over to the editor (ala the smileys behavior).

I do think this type of system would be used a lot IMHO...

I'm not a huge fan of hotlinks considering how they oftentimes go bad.

FrizzleFried

Oh... and a button accessible from the editor/quick editor that would pop-up (ala the smileys) a page of your uploaded images to click on (and automatically transfer the BBC code over) would be incredible... and there should be no reason why it wouldn't work awesome in the quick reply as well as it's essentially doing what the smileys are doing... right?

FrizzleFried

I'm just fleshing out how it would work in my head a little...

For those not familiar with Imgur...

Their image system pops up a page of thumbnails...

You cannot view this attachment.

... as you mouse-over each image a border appears indicating the image selected.  Click and you get...

You cannot view this attachment.

Obviously we wouldn't need all those options for display/embed, etc...  Just a download button and a Copy to Editor button would work.

As for uploading... I can envision integrating the mod in to the standard upload system.  If an image,  offer up the option to "attach to message" or "add to repository"... or something to that effect.

It could be really useful for a lot of people frankly... and with storage/data getting as inexpensive as it is... discouraging hotlinking to maintain the integrity of the forum history is getting more and more desirable IMHO. 

FrizzleFried

...the amount of interest in this mod is simply... asounding!

;)

FWIW,  I know I'd cough up a few bucks for such a mod.  That said... I'm happy to contribute to the community when possible!   Lets take a step against hotlinking for SMF forums!!

:D

vbgamer45

It's a good idea just takes time to build. There is a lot of different parts from permissions, storage quota's, different settings, moderation.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

FrizzleFried

I agree... it would be a rather sizable mod with everything that needs to be in place.  I am simply hoping someone of the skill necessary takes it on...

...you perhaps?

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

FrizzleFried

Ah... a little flattery never hurts in any case...

;)

Tyrsson

I might take a crack at it... Come to think of it. It would work well, if it displayed tabbed, like the other mod... .. .
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

FrizzleFried

Tyrsson

Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 23, 2022, 12:39:26 AM...excitement builds.
Oh dont get tooo excited lol, its gonna take a minute. Well, depends on exactly what all functionality is a *must have*. Hit me on slack when you get time so we can go over it.
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

FrizzleFried

Quote from: Tyrsson on May 23, 2022, 04:11:19 PM
Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 23, 2022, 12:39:26 AM...excitement builds.
Oh dont get tooo excited lol, its gonna take a minute. Well, depends on exactly what all functionality is a *must have*. Hit me on slack when you get time so we can go over it.

I managed to miss this somehow.  Would you prefer I go in to more details here in the thread or would you prefer PM's?

Steve

FrizzleFried

I missed that part somehow (I really need to stop going to bed at 1AM).

Advertisement: