News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

View Attachments

Started by keyboard, April 30, 2022, 06:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keyboard

Need the wisdom of the Board again !!!

I always insert a pic in the body of the message along with an attachment. But all a guest see's is "You cannot see attachments on this board". The guest has no idea what is in the message !

What has to be done, for a guest to be able to see the inserted pic but unable to download the attached file ?

Please advise
Ron
Слaва
Украинi

Kindred

Check permissions for guests and allow them to view attachments
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

keyboard

My bad !! I should have explained more clearly

I have Subscriptions enabled....My goal is to create a subscription Site where a guest can see the inserted Pic in the Message but unable to download the attachment unless he chooses a plan.

Users that subscribe will not have any restrictions.
Слaва
Украинi

Illori

you cannot allow them to view the attachment without being able to download.

keyboard

Quote from: Illori on April 30, 2022, 07:23:01 PMyou cannot allow them to view the attachment without being able to download.

What would be the work around ?   
Слaва
Украинi

Kindred

There is no "workaround".

The system is behaving exactly as designed.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GL700Wing

Quote from: keyboard on April 30, 2022, 07:17:14 PMI have Subscriptions enabled....My goal is to create a subscription Site where a guest can see the inserted Pic in the Message but unable to download the attachment unless he chooses a plan.

To do this you would need a mod that only displays thumbnails which do not link to the full sized images to guests.

Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

keyboard

Quote from: GL700Wing on April 30, 2022, 07:31:10 PM
Quote from: keyboard on April 30, 2022, 07:17:14 PMI have Subscriptions enabled....My goal is to create a subscription Site where a guest can see the inserted Pic in the Message but unable to download the attachment unless he chooses a plan.

To do this you would need a mod that only displays thumbnails which do not link to the full sized images to guests.

Could someone direct to a Mod that will do this ?
Слaва
Украинi

GL700Wing

Quote from: keyboard on April 30, 2022, 07:34:13 PMCould someone direct to a Mod that will do this ?
I'm not aware of a mod for SMF 2.1 that does this ...
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

Antechinus

Obvious workaround: save the thumbnail to desktop, then upload it as a standard image embedded into the post. Only takes a minute. Should give the desired result.

Kindred

Quote from: Antechinus on April 30, 2022, 08:05:49 PMObvious workaround: save the thumbnail to desktop, then upload it as a standard image embedded into the post. Only takes a minute. Should give the desired result.

No. It won't.
That won't stop users from seeing/downloading the full image, if the full image is attached
Слaва
Украинi

Antechinus

Quote from: keyboard on April 30, 2022, 07:34:13 PM
Quote from: GL700Wing on April 30, 2022, 07:31:10 PMTo do this you would need a mod that only displays thumbnails which do not link to the full sized images to guests.
Could someone direct to a Mod that will do this ?

I was replying to this, which indicated the OP wanted to display the unlinked thumbnail when attachments were hidden from guests. Seems workable to me. Not sure what the issue is. :)

keyboard

I have a subscription site that needs some custom coding.....

I would like it for a guest to be able to see:

- The inserted image (jpeg,png, etc) in the message body
- the attached file
- Now when the guest tries to download the attached file, he will be redirected to the Registration
  Page where he has to choose a plan to be able to download the file.

I am still running SMF 2.0.18, Nibogo did this for me and it works flawlessly but I want to move on to  SMF 2.1.1.   

For some reason Nibogo has said that he has moved on to other projects so he is not available .

I would prefer to continue the conversation privately if possible. I can provide the url of the SMF 2.0.18 Site and the SMF 2.1.1

Please advise
Ron
Слaва
Украинi

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Your easiest workaround would be to host the images for guests somewhere else.
If you are always making the posts yourself, you could even just create a separate folder on your webserver for this and upload the public pictures there, then use IMG tags to include them in the posts.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: