News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF 2.1.2 Released

Started by Sesquipedalian, May 09, 2022, 12:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sesquipedalian

Dear Members,

Simple Machines is pleased to announce a new patch for the 2.1.x line of SMF, which pushes the version number to 2.1.2.

We consider this patch to be of crucial importance, as it includes security updates.

Notable changes in SMF 2.1.2

• Fixes errors when attempting to view the profile of a non-existent user.
  • Fixes minor issues with the editor toolbar when certain BBCodes are disabled.
  • Fixes a bug where the admin panel incorrectly showed the image proxy settings as editable when Settings.php was read-only.
  • Correctly formats the gender string in profile exports.
  • Correctly formats the custom profile field names and values in the Buddies list.
  • Fixes a minor bug when displaying size limits in the attachments restrictions information.
  • Large image thumbnails now display with the the correct aspect ratio when viewed on small devices.
  • Video attachments no longer overflow the window on small devices.
  • Fixes errors about undefined variables when switching between different cache accelerator options.
  • Fixes an error about invalid dates when a comma was used under certain circumstances while creating a calendar event.
  • Correctly handles uppercase non-ASCII characters in the answers to verification questions.
  • Fixes a bug that could allow a topic to be moved into a redirection board under certain circumstances.
  • Fixes a error that could be generated when sending notifications about guest posts.
  • Fixes a bug where certain pages could fail to load if the set_time_limit() function was disabled on PHP 8+.
  • Fixes a bug where attachments might not download correctly if the "Enable compressed output" setting was enabled on PHP 8.0.17+ and 8.1.4+.
  • Fixes some rare Unicode character handling issues.
  • Security improvements.

Please see the change list on GitHub for more information.

How to update to 2.1.2

If you are currently using version 2.1.1 you can perform the update using the Package Manager (Administration Center > Package Manager). There you should see a notification about 2.1.2, including a "update your forum" link. If you do not see this notification in the Package Manager, please run "Fetch Simple Machines files" from the Scheduled Tasks page (Administration Center > Maintenance > Scheduled Tasks), and then try again.

If you are currently using version 2.1.0, you can use the process described above to apply previous update patches successively until you reach version 2.1.2.

If you are currently using any older version of SMF (including SMF 1.x, SMF 2.0.x, or one of the SMF 2.1 Betas or RCs), you can upgrade directly to 2.1.2 from whichever version you are currently using by using the "Large Upgrade" package from the Download page. Be aware that using this upgrade method will require you to reinstall any customizations that you have added to your forum, so if you are running SMF 2.1.0 or higher, it is recommended that you apply the successive patches instead of using the Large Upgrade.

If you are having problems downloading the patch from the admin panel, you can download the patch package from the Package Manager Updates page and install it via the Package Manager, as you would any other mod package.

Please refer to the Online Manual for more details about patching and upgrading.

Finally, as always, please do not use this topic for support requests. You will receive a much quicker and better response by posting in the 2.1.x Support Board.

Thank you for using SMF!

Regards,
Simple Machines
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Looking

That is a lot of fixes, thanks!

Arantor

Just for future ref, the enabled compressed output bug should also have been addressed in 8.0.19 and 8.1.6 mainline releases.

gevv

Thanks to the team

Quotehttps://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/downloads/smf_2-1-2_patch.tar.gz

The page cannot be found!
No need to worry, we can help you.

For some reason or another the page you were looking for cannot be be found. Perhaps you mistyped the URL, or you followed a link that is out of date.
ElkArte is a modern, powerful community building forum software. https://www.elkarte.net/

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

-Rock Lee-

How strange I still see 2.1.1, the most current version on my panel, I suppose it needs time, also a great job by all 8) . Now it's time to translate the news :P!

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

Doug Heffernan

Thank you to everyone involved for all your hard work and the new release. :)

Matthias

Many thanks to the dev team for their work!
Quality first

Trekkie101

QuoteSMF file version (2.1.1) does not match SMF database version (2.1.2).
Run the SMF upgrader to fix this.
More information.

On uploading the patch to the package manager.

Quote from: -Rock Lee- on May 09, 2022, 01:11:14 PMHow strange I still see 2.1.1, the most current version on my panel, I suppose it needs time, also a great job by all 8) . Now it's time to translate the news :P!

Mine also says this.

Steve

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on May 09, 2022, 12:33:55 PMplease do not use this topic for support requests

Well done guys!
DO NOT pm me for support!

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: gevv on May 09, 2022, 01:02:15 PM
Quotehttps://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/downloads/smf_2-1-2_patch.tar.gz

The page cannot be found!
No need to worry, we can help you.

For some reason or another the page you were looking for cannot be be found. Perhaps you mistyped the URL, or you followed a link that is out of date.

Thanks. This should now be fixed.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: -Rock Lee- on May 09, 2022, 01:11:14 PMHow strange I still see 2.1.1, the most current version on my panel, I suppose it needs time
Quote from: Sesquipedalian on May 09, 2022, 12:33:55 PMIf you do not see this notification in the Package Manager, please run "Fetch Simple Machines files" from the Scheduled Tasks page (Administration Center > Maintenance > Scheduled Tasks), and then try again.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

pikeman

Thank for effort and commitment.

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: Arantor on May 09, 2022, 12:52:54 PMJust for future ref, the enabled compressed output bug should also have been addressed in 8.0.19 and 8.1.6 mainline releases.

That's good to hear. But unfortunately we'll still need to keep our workarounds in SMF's code until whenever PHP 8.0.x and 8.1.x reach EOL.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Arantor

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on May 09, 2022, 02:39:23 PMThat's good to hear. But unfortunately we'll still need to keep our workarounds in SMF's code until whenever PHP 8.0.x and 8.1.x reach EOL.

I was thinking more that the fix might be targeted to only those versions.

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: Arantor on May 09, 2022, 02:51:20 PMI was thinking more that the fix might be targeted to only those versions.

I suppose we could do that, but the workaround introduced in 2.1.2 is compatible with other PHP versions, so I'm not sure we need to bother targeting it. Of course, we can always revisit the matter if there does turn out to be a good reason to bother. Probably in another topic, though. :)
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Robert.

Congrats with the release!

Antechinus

Shades.

Awesome job SMF! Thanks to everyone involved! 8)
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

peterbehlendorf

Congratulations and thanks again SMF team!

Advertisement: