News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Changes to Admin Email Notification Process When a User Resets Their Password

Started by Michael Vail, May 10, 2022, 08:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Vail

This a feature change more than a feature request, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Currently, when a user resets their SMF password, SMF sends an email to the Admin account(s) stating a new user has joined the forum. I've never understood this as the message is not correct. What the message should say, if one should even be sent at all, is something to the affect of "User xxx just reset their password." Personally, I don't see any value for password reset messages going to Admins anyway and think they should just be a silent entry in the user log for tracking only.

It's been this way for as long as I've used SMF so I just thought I'd put it in writing in case the devs wanted to deal with it.

Thank you for the consideration and Happy Hump Day.

Sesquipedalian

I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Kindred

Can we recreate this?  Because I've never seen this happen on any forum I have managed
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

this is only when you have the forum set to email activation. i have seen this happen before. they activate their account with the new email address and the admin gets an email that a new member has been created. has been this was since SMF 2.0 at least.

this is not just for setting a new password, but when they change their email address as far as i am aware.

Sesquipedalian

I couldn't find a way to reproduce this when a member changes their password, but I could when they changed their email address.

At any rate, #7476 should take care of all possible situations, because it checks the member's current activation status to make this decision, rather than relying on the presence of a URL parameter.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

shawnb61

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Advertisement: