error "current version 2.1.2 but upgrade script is for 2.1.2"?

Started by Cheri, May 11, 2022, 09:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheri

My forum is down after attempting to update to 2.1.2 and we use it for our members area, with current (and of course urgent) projects underway...

I used Softaculous, which shows that it updated, version shows as 2.1.2... but its obviously not right............

member.jcunitedway.org [nofollow]

If this isnt an easy fix, how do I use the backup to at least get the forum up and running again?

thanks for any help you an offer!!!

some text it shows (from member.jcunitedway.org [nofollow])

Updating Your SMF Installation!
Thank you for choosing to upgrade to SMF 2.1.2. All files appear to be in place, and we're ready to proceed.

Warning!
This upgrade script is out of date! The current version of SMF is 2.1.2 but this upgrade script is for 2.1.2.

It is recommended that you visit the Simple Machines website to ensure you are upgrading to the latest version.

Critical Error!
The upgrade script cannot find script.js or it is out of date. Make sure your theme paths are correct. You can download a setting checker tool from the Simple Machines Website

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Did you take a backup before trying to upgrade? What version were you trying to upgrade from?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Steve

In addition, just as an FYI, you should never use a 3rd party updater. I know that doesn't help your current situation but you'll avoid problems in the future.

Lex's questions are most important at the moment of course.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Cheri

I did make a backup..

updating from 2.0.19 .. maybe of note, maybe not... in the forum admin it showed that as my version as well as current version..

I will never again use Softaculous, no matter what A2 says! ~pinky swear!!~

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If you want to stay with SMF 2.0, revert to the backup.
If you want to upgrade to 2.1, try downloading the large upgrade from our downloads and do a manual upgrade from the beginning, making sure to overwrite everything, including all languages you may have installed in addition to English. English, and only English, is included in the upgrade package.

The upgrade: https://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-1-2_upgrade.zip
Language files (if needed): https://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?languages
Instructions for upgrading: https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Cheri

okay...... some progress, but the upgrader looks stalled.. or doesnt seem to be running?  The page is definitely different now, the errors it was encountering before are not listing now...

I copied everything over from https://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-1-2_upgrade.zip

AND copied the files over from the smf_2-0-19_english zip file.

So I decided it was permissions (was going to let the upgrader handle that part, but it never gets there)

but... files were already set to 644 but I have tried all the suggestions here:
Quote"On most servers, a setting of 755 for directories and 644 for files will work. If this does not work on your hosting service, you may need 777 or 775 for directories, and 666 or 664 for files. Some hosts do not allow using 777 for directories or 666 for files --"

Right now, I have 777 and 666 but it still doesnt run.... and.. Im not sure what the permissions should be left on?

Maybe of note? I dont know if its a Windows server, I cant find that in the account details.. but it did let me change the permissions myself, so I assume not?

edit:
oh....... and I dont know how to get a command prompt on the server to try that

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Cheri on May 12, 2022, 12:40:01 PMAND copied the files over from the smf_2-0-19_english zip file.
This shouldn't have been necessary, only if you have installed other languages than English should you make sure they are updated as well. Actually bringing over 2.0.19 language files for a 2.1 install could hurt you. 2.1 English isn't available as a standalone, as it is included in every install and upgrade package already.

Quote from: Cheri on May 12, 2022, 12:40:01 PMSo I decided it was permissions (was going to let the upgrader handle that part, but it never gets there)
Where does it stop exactly? Did you get the upgrade to run at all, or did it stop before?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Cheri on May 12, 2022, 12:40:01 PMAND copied the files over from the smf_2-0-19_english zip file.

Did you actually overwrite your forum files with those from the large 2.1.2. upgrade package?

Quote from: Cheri on May 12, 2022, 12:40:01 PMThe page is definitely different now, the errors it was encountering before are not listing now...

Can you please post a screenshot of how your upgrade page looks like?

What about this?

Quote from: Aleksi on May 12, 2022, 01:16:50 AMDid you take a backup before trying to upgrade?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Actually, I took a look at that upgrade - I would highly suggest reverting to the backup for now. If you can be sure the backup is good.
Then please check all your paths and urls using repair_settings.php and make sure your default theme works correctly before proceeding to the update. Currently it looks like your Default theme url does not match your forum URL, and elements of the theme are non-reachable. For example, the simplemachines logo is pointing to https://jcunitedway.a2hosted.com/Themes/default/images/smflogo.svg which gives a 404, since it should apparently be https://member.jcunitedway.org/Themes/default/images/smflogo.svg which works. These can be issues caused by the failed auto-installer upgrade, so simply reverting to the backup may fix things completely, and then starting the proper upgrade should be safe.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Cheri

Lex,
Language file-- I copied the English over because the original error was complaining about outdated English =(
......"The upgrader found some old or outdated language files for the selected language, english."

The upgrader doesnt even seem to start.. the time elapsed even stays at 0.

I dont know how to revert to the backup, but when the upgrade failed the first time A2 restored the backup and the forum was fine with the exception of an error that said the upgrader hadnt been deleted.. so at least that one must be good?

the simplemachines logo, top left.. I changed a long time ago to use our logo...... maybe I didnt do that right? Will run the repair_settings.php, if I can get the backup restored.

Now Im converned about the ability to restore the backup, because I copied the new files over....... so should I copy all the old files back? Then, how do I restore the backup file?

I appreciate your help, beyond words!

Doug,
No, I used the English zip file from the link Lex posted. I misunderstood it's purpose.
yes, I have made a couple backups.. before the Softalculous attempt, and again before I tried this today.

Sorry, I thought you could see the same thing Im seeing at https://member.jcunitedway.org/ [nofollow]

Sir Osis of Liver

The only things you really need to worry about are your database and attachments.  You can restore them to a clean install, make sure it's running correctly, then upload 2.1 upgrade package and run upgrade.php.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Tyrsson

Can someone @Steve, @Doug Heffernan, @Kindred  please edit that post since the first link in the original post is linked to upgrade.php that is still on the server....

Thanks
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

Cheri

Quote from: Joey Smith™ on May 12, 2022, 08:44:15 PMC please edit that post since the first link in the original post is linked to upgrade.php that is still on the server....

Thanks

deleted upgrade.php..
now it says
"MF file version (2.1.2) does not match SMF database version (2.0.17).
Run the SMF upgrader to fix this."

the forum was 2.0.19 before I attempted the upgrade..

Sir Osis of Liver

Your database is 2.0, forum files are 2.1.  upgrade.php converts the database to 2.1.  If upgrade fails and you need to get forum back online, upload 2.0.19 files, either from backup or upgrade package.

- R. Waters

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Cheri on May 12, 2022, 11:06:55 PM
Quote from: Joey Smith™ on May 12, 2022, 08:44:15 PMC please edit that post since the first link in the original post is linked to upgrade.php that is still on the server....

Thanks

deleted upgrade.php..
now it says

Did you run the the repair_settings.php tool as suggested above? Regarding this issue, as mentioned above, your forum files do not mach the database version. You can either go ahead and upgrade to 2.1.2. or roll back to 2.0.19 by overwritting your forum wiles as mentioned above by @Sir Osis of Liver.

Can you run this query and post back the results?

SELECT value FROM `smf_themes` WHERE variable = 'theme_dir';
SELECT value FROM `smf_themes` WHERE variable = 'theme_url';

A suggestion, if I may, do not leave files that pose security risk on your server longer than necessary, such as the upgrader or the repair_settings.php files, especially after you post the link to your forum in public.

Quote from: Joey Smith™ on May 12, 2022, 08:44:15 PMCan someone @Steve, @Doug Heffernan, @Kindred  please edit that post since the first link in the original post is linked to upgrade.php that is still on the server....

Thanks

Good catch and thank you for the heads up.

Cheri

Lex,
the forum's back up on 2.0.19. Everything looks right except the attachments arent working (Not with the link that was there, or the suggested link- I dont know where they are, not even sure I care if we can get everything else upgraded but should be in the backups-in addition to the backup I copied the whole directory before I copied the 2.1.2 files over)

repair_settings.php
on the left how it looked, on the right how it looks now... a couple of them arent updating:

Now, Im almost afraid to try the upgrader again.. so Im not touching anything until you tell me to!!!

Doug, I can if you tell me how to run the query?
QuoteCan you run this query and post back the results?
CodeSelect

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Cheri on May 13, 2022, 01:56:22 PMrepair_settings.php
on the left how it looked, on the right how it looks now... a couple of them arent updating:

For where it says Value not found in red, simply click the blue link next to the Recommended value.

What about the Paths&Urls For Themes options, what do you get there because the screenshot does not go beyond that?

Quote from: Cheri on May 13, 2022, 01:56:22 PMDoug, I can if you tell me how to run the query?

You can run it at the SQL tab of phpmyadmin for the database that you have used to install the smf forum.

Cheri

QuoteFor where it says Value not found in red, simply click the blue link next to the Recommended value.
I did that to update the ones that are fixed in the screenshot on the right, the ones still red are not updating.

QuoteWhat about the Paths&Urls For Themes options, what do you get there because the screenshot does not go beyond that?
There were no other errors so I didnt think the rest was important?

QuoteYou can run it at the SQL tab of phpmyadmin for the database that you have used to install the smf forum.
I dont have phpadmin but the forum shows:
Theme directory (templates):/home/jcunited/member.jcunitedway.org/Themes/designblue2
URL to above directory:https://member.jcunitedway.org/Themes/designblue2 [nofollow]

Tyrsson

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on May 13, 2022, 06:08:25 AM
Quote from: Cheri on May 12, 2022, 11:06:55 PM

Thanks

deleted upgrade.php..
now it says

Did you run the the repair_settings.php tool as suggested above? Regarding this issue, as mentioned above, your forum files do not mach the database version. You can either go ahead and upgrade to 2.1.2. or roll back to 2.0.19 by overwritting your forum wiles as mentioned above by @Sir Osis of Liver.

Can you run this query and post back the results?

A suggestion, if I may, do not leave files that pose security risk on your server longer than necessary, such as the upgrader or the repair_settings.php files, especially after you post the link to your forum in public.

Quote from: Joey Smith™ on May 12, 2022, 08:44:15 PMCan someone @Steve, @Doug Heffernan, @Kindred  please edit that post since the first link in the original post is linked to upgrade.php that is still on the server....

Thanks

Good catch and thank you for the heads up.
No problem ;)

Tyrsson

Cheri

<I>I only use SMF. I have had no reason to do anything with the database. It's a small forum that I use as a members area for my Board and committees.

Am I missing something?

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Cheri on May 14, 2022, 12:25:21 PM<I>I only use SMF. I have had no reason to do anything with the database. It's a small forum that I use as a members area for my Board and committees.

Am I missing something?

The database is the most important thing. Without it there is no forum. Who is your host? Most host come with a cPanel or Plesk, which are two of the most popular hosting control panels.

How did you install your forum in the first place? Where did you created the database, the user and password that were assigned to it? Or did someone else set it up for you?

Cheri

<I>ahhh.. I just didnt know what you were talking about.. its cPanel! I set it up, but if memory serves A2 had to change some permission settings.. they suggest using Softaculous to upgrade to 2.1.2 but it didnt work and advice here is that is a baddd idea, so Im hoping for help to just upgrade without trying the Softaculous again (it failed twice)

Tyrsson

Quote from: Cheri on May 14, 2022, 03:14:58 PMits cPanel!
Then in Cpanel. If you scroll down and look under - Databases - You will see a listing for PhpMyAdmin. Click that and it will redirect you to phpmyadmin for your account. Which is where you will be able to run the query @Doug Heffernan Detailed above. It will also allow you to export a backup of your current database. This is what contains ALL of your post, members etc. Files are easy to replace, Databases, once lost or corrupted, can be difficult to impossible to recover. Take backups regularly. I would suggest once a week depending on how active your site is.

To provide you some much needed info. Your site basically uses two different servers. A web server, most likely Apache and MySQL. Apache and php serves the files, apache accesses the files stored on the server and "parses" or executes the php within the files. Apache, also, via php interacts, reads and writes, to and from the MySQL database. Which is where all of your dynamic, eg your interactive, data is stored.

PhpMyAdmin is a database administration application written in php to allow a user to interact and manage the MySQL server using a GUI or graphical user interface. Which is easier than using a terminal session (command line).

The reason your host suggest that you use the softaculous or "craptaculous" script to upgrade, honestly, and I can say this because I am not on the team currently. Frankly, either A) they do not know any better, or B) they cant be bothered with support tickets for anything other than what they absolutely have to answer.

However, with that said. For anyone running a site. Its absolutely necessary to learn at least the basics of how the web works, and the components of the hosting environment so that they can effectively communicate with the various support personnel they will need during the lifetime of their sites. Most, like you, start learning when its required because something didnt work as expected or blew up. That's ok, just understand, the team here is trying to guide you in a way that will do two things. A) Get your site back online as fast as possible B) Teach you how to not get caught in this situation again, which, is the best possible outcome :)   

Cheri

oh, I get it. I am not an IT or tech, I am just geeky enough to be dangerous. But, I am teachable!  ;D 

I backed up from SMF itself (and with Softculous before that upgrade attempt) I also kept a copy of the whole directory before I overwrote any of the files.
And now I have a backup from phpMyAdmin too.

The query results..

localhost/      
 Showing rows 0 -  6 (7 total, Query took 0.0008 seconds.)

Showing rows 0 -  6 (7 total, Query took 0.0004 seconds.)

SELECT value FROM `smf_themes` WHERE variable = 'theme_dir'

SELECT value FROM `smf_themes` WHERE variable = 'theme_url'

value   value   
/home/jcunited/public_html/Themes/default   
/home/jcunited/public_html/Themes/core   
/home/jcunited/public_html/Themes/polaris   
/home/jcunited/public_html/Themes/smf_2-0-17_insta...   
/home/jcunited/public_html/Themes/Wgame   
/home/jcunited/public_html/Themes/Ancient_and_Rust...   
/home/jcunited/member.jcunitedway.org/Themes/desig...   
https://jcunitedway.a2hosted.com/Themes/default [nofollow]   
https://jcunitedway.a2hosted.com/Themes/core [nofollow]   
https://jcunitedway.a2hosted.com/Themes/polaris [nofollow]   
https://jcunitedway.a2hosted.com/Themes/smf_2-0-17 [nofollow]...   
https://jcunitedway.a2hosted.com/Themes/Wgame [nofollow]   
https://jcunitedway.a2hosted.com/Themes/Ancient_an [nofollow]...   
https://member.jcunitedway.org/Themes/designblue2 [nofollow]   

localhost/      
 Showing rows 0 -  6 (7 total, Query took 0.0008 seconds.)

Showing rows 0 -  6 (7 total, Query took 0.0004 seconds.)

SELECT value FROM `smf_themes` WHERE variable = 'theme_dir'

value   value   
/home/jcunited/public_html/Themes/default   
/home/jcunited/public_html/Themes/core   
/home/jcunited/public_html/Themes/polaris   
/home/jcunited/public_html/Themes/smf_2-0-17_insta...   
/home/jcunited/public_html/Themes/Wgame   
/home/jcunited/public_html/Themes/Ancient_and_Rust...   
https://jcunitedway.a2hosted.com/Themes/default [nofollow]   

Doug Heffernan

Hello @Cheri, I edited your post and removed the links to your phpmyadmin. I think it poses a security risk to post it in the public.

That said, the following do not correspond with the right paths and urls of your forum. Have you run the repair_settings.php tool?

Quote from: Cheri on May 14, 2022, 05:38:16 PMhttps://jcunitedway.a2hosted.com/Themes/default [nofollow]   

Cheri

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Cheri on May 13, 2022, 01:56:22 PMthe forum's back up on 2.0.19. Everything looks right except the attachments arent working

If attachments aren't being displayed in 2.0.19, it may be because you've restored a backup of /attachments that was made after first 2.1 upgrade attempt.  Upgrader adds .dat extension to hashed filenames, which makes them incompatible with 2.0 database.  You have to remove the extension to get them working again in 2.0.19.  Upgrader also moves uploaded avatars from /attachments to /custom_avatar and changes filenames.  You'd need to replace /attachments with backup made prior to first upgrade attempt.

- R. Waters

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Cheri on May 14, 2022, 06:42:22 PMthanks @Doug Heffernan

I did run repair.. posted screenshots yesterday

Looking at your previous post, your default theme url, and of the other themes that I quoted as well, do not match the url of your forum...

Cheri

@Sir Osis of Liver 
Thank you! this was exactly why the the attachments weren't working, and they restored. (Now, after correcting the themes issues and repair below, some are working and some arent, but I can live with that, I have backups of anything that was attached if we need it)

@Doug Heffernan
I deleted the Themes except the one in use and the default and reset themes and URLs in SMF. Now I think it's correct.
QuoteSELECT value FROM `smf_themes` WHERE variable = 'theme_dir'
value value
/home/jcunited/member.jcunitedway.org/Themes/defau...
https://member.jcunitedway.org/Themes/default [nofollow]

@Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen 

QuoteActually, I took a look at that upgrade - I would highly suggest reverting to the backup for now. If you can be sure the backup is good.
Then please check all your paths and urls using repair_settings.php and make sure your default theme works correctly before proceeding to the update. Currently it looks like your Default theme url does not match your forum URL, and elements of the theme are non-reachable. For example, the simplemachines logo is pointing to https://jcunitedway.a2hosted.com/Themes/default/images/smflogo.svg [nofollow] which gives a 404, since it should apparently be https://member.jcunitedway.org/Themes/default/images/smflogo.svg [nofollow] which works. These can be issues caused by the failed auto-installer upgrade, so simply reverting to the backup may fix things completely, and then starting the proper upgrade should be safe.
Ive reverted to the backup and 2.0.19, and all seems to be working, including attachments. I think the themes are correct now, I ran repair again.. and repaired what would...  These two still say Value not found! Tasks Directory, Packages Directory but both folders are there and have stuff in them.

Im afraid to try the upgrade again yet, because I dont know why those two values wont set with repair.. the only other thing that repair still has in red is the cache section. I havent changed any of that because I dont know what it should be.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Cheri on May 15, 2022, 09:27:23 AMIm afraid to try the upgrade again yet, because I dont know why those two values wont set with repair.. the only other thing that repair still has in red is the cache section. I havent changed any of that because I dont know what it should be.

You can click the link that it is receommended the repair_settings.php tool for those areas where it says: Value not found.

Regarding the upgrade, you do not have to be afraid. As long as you make a backup of the database beforehand everything will be alright.

Cheri

@Doug Heffernan 
That's what I did and I just tried it again and it still does not change those two.. the tasks and Packages directories still say value not found.

So, I just want to make sure those are addressed (or dont matter?) before I attempt the upgrade.

Arantor

Those two values don't exist in 2.0 so it would be strange if you had them.

Sir Osis of Liver

Why is repair_settings flagging them on 2.0 install if they're not supposed to be there?

- R. Waters

Doug Heffernan

This topic is posted in a 2.1.x forum, so I assumed that the OP is using the 2.1.x? Are you using the 2.0.19 version @Cheri? Because if so this needs to be moved to the 2.0.x. board.

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on May 15, 2022, 02:00:45 PMWhy is repair_settings flagging them on 2.0 install if they're not supposed to be there?

That is a very good question @Sir Osis of Liver. I think that it is due to the fact that the repair_settings.php tool is compatible with both versions, 2.0.x and 2.1.x. And when being run in a 2.0.x forum, it throws those errors for things that do not exist for that version, but they do in 2.1.x. I have not checked the code for said file, but if that is the case I think that said file needs a version check, so it can skip those values from being checked while being run on a 2.0.x forum.

Sir Osis of Liver

Just ran current repair_settings download on 2.0.19 install, it doesn't find Custom Avatar URL or Custom Avatar Directory (/custom_avatar is created by 2.1 upgrade) but nothing about Tasks or Packages directories.  Possible database being used was damaged by initial borked upgrade and is partially upgraded?  Might just be that smfVersion is incorrect in smf_settings in 2.0.19 database.

- R. Waters

Arantor

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on May 15, 2022, 02:19:56 PMMight just be that smfVersion is incorrect in smf_settings in 2.0.19 database

If only that were how it worked, and I so wish people would stop treating it as a source of truth because it really isn't and hasn't ever been.

Why it gets hung up, I'm assuming is because the 2.1 upgrade files were dropped over the top of the 2.0 files, and then the 2.0 files dropped back over the top of the 2.1 files to roll it back.

But this wouldn't clean out of the files *added* by 2.1, such as Class-TOTP.php which is how repair_settings.php decides if it's 2.0 or 2.1, whether that file is present.

Cheri

@Doug Heffernan I was upgrading to 2.1.2 and the current version told me it was 2.1.2 so thats why I chose this board.  

The 2.1.2 upgrade failed, advice below is to restore the 2.0.19 backup and try upgrade. 2.0.19 is almost restored, with the question of those two directories.. if they wont impact the upgrade I can try again but I was waiting for advice before I do so I dont cause it to fail again. :-\

@Arantor .. yes.. first upgrade attempt was with Softaculous (I know, I know.) Then restored to 2.0, but it had issues!

Second attempt, I copied everything over. Fail. 

Lex suggested restoring 2.0 and fixing the themes, URLS, directories etc and trying again. 

So, now.. restored 2.0 again. I think this time the issues are fixed, except the question of these two directories.... tasks and Packages.... 

and I dont want to try the upgrade again until someone says I should try again "as is", because those directories wont impact the upgrader.... OR... what I should do to cure them. (repair does not change them)

Arantor

Delete Sources/Class-TOTP.php, repair_settings.PHP will revert to 2.0.

Cheri

Quote from: Arantor on May 15, 2022, 03:44:27 PMDelete Sources/Class-TOTP.php, repair_settings.PHP will revert to 2.0.
that worked! the repair found no issues now

So.. I just backed up again and Im going to do a manual upgrade from the beginning- overwrite everything and run the upgrader......... ~fingers crossed~

Cheri

Success! We have 2.1.2! Everything seems fine, except attachments are missing. Not a big deal as I have those files if we need them.

THANK YOU to everyone who helped sort this out!

If you are trained, which Id guess all of you are, as a non-profit, we can record your volunteer hours. If you'd like to let me know what your total is, please add it here. 

AGAIN... THANK YOU!!!!!!!
@Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen 
@Arantor 
@Joey Smith™ 
@Sir Osis of Liver 
@Steve 
and anyone else I might have missed!

Doug Heffernan

Glad to see that you got your forum upgraded successfully. I will go ahead and mark this as solved.

Tyrsson

Quote from: Cheri on May 15, 2022, 06:11:54 PMSuccess! We have 2.1.2! Everything seems fine, except attachments are missing. Not a big deal as I have those files if we need them.

THANK YOU to everyone who helped sort this out!

If you are trained, which Id guess all of you are, as a non-profit, we can record your volunteer hours. If you'd like to let me know what your total is, please add it here.

AGAIN... THANK YOU!!!!!!!
@Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen
@Arantor
@Joey Smith™
@Sir Osis of Liver
@Steve
and anyone else I might have missed!
Just glad you got it sorted out :)

Advertisement: