Attachments - How to delete wrongly inserted attachment?

Started by davo88, May 13, 2022, 04:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davo88

On several occasions while posting in this forum, I have inserted attachments in the wrong place.
In the past I have just kludged around it by either switching out of WYSIWIG mode and editing out the BB code, or scrapping the post and starting again.

For an ordinary forum member (not an admin, not familiar with BB code and maybe not aware that the WYSIWYG toggle button exists), what is the correct procedure for someone like that to fix this situation?

So here is the attachment inserted in the wrong position.
You cannot view this attachment.

Now I click on the 'Delete' button next to the 'Insert' button to see if that will do it.

Has it worked?  I can't tell... the thumbnail still appears in the message.

Now if I know about the WYSWYG editor toggle button and BB code, I can toggle into text mode and edit out the highlighted BBC.

But how should an ordinary forum member deal with this situation?

Steve

When you edit the post and delete the attachment just as you've done and save the post, the attachment will be gone. Don't forget to remove the attachment line in the post.
DO NOT pm me for support!

davo88

That's fine if you know it will be gone and if you know how to edit BB code.

As I said, an admin level or technically competent forum member, will be able to edit the BB code. My example and questions are from a non-technical user's POV.

They are in WYSIWYG mode, can't see the BBC and don't know it exists! The thumbnail of the wrongly inserted attachment still shows up in the Preview yet the Attachment window is now coloured pink and says it has been deleted.

And the 'Delete' button process does not delete the BBC.

Steve

I understand that and that's something member's need to learn. If the background turns pink, the attachment has been deleted. It would be nice if it also deleted the line in the post too and it would be nice  if the thumbnail didn't show when deleted... Hey! Feature request!  ;D
DO NOT pm me for support!

FrizzleFried

Yeah,  if adding an attachment adds code (which it does)... deleting an attachment should remove said code... no?

Advertisement: